ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO WEAR THAT? Indie clothing line brings back ’80s styles

Courtesy of Mark Capicotto

Fresh fashion, neon colors and cartoon-style art come together in an explosion of apparel
    design called Glamour Kills. Design mastermind and creator Mark Capicotto is still
    trying to wrap his head around the company’s explosive success.

Three years ago, the company blossomed out of boredom and a dream in Capicotto’s
    bedroom in New York.

“I was going to college but wasn’t sure what I wanted to do,” Capicotto said. “I was doing a lot of T-shirt designs for bands and I realized I could do this for myself.”

Until two months ago, Glamour Kills owner Capicotto did everything himself: He designed the clothing, managed the Web site and ran the business. But with the company’s growth and popularity, he has been forced to expand his operations in order to fulfill the escalating demand.

“It grew from a one-man thing to 12 employees and a lot of interns. (But) it was hard to give up part of the artistic control,” Capicotto admitted. Regardless, business has been booming for the once one-man enterprise.

With a team of designers pumping out the candy-colored couture as well as a newly minted contract with nationwide snow and skate retailer Zumiez, Glamour Kills is well on its way to becoming a global brand.

“We always try to stay ahead of everything,” Capicotto said about the company’s signature style. “We want to do something different … to push the envelope.”

Summer 2009 will mark the introduction of Glamour Kills’ first ever swimwear line. The line will feature the same bright colors and kooky animation designs, which are the forefront for the brand’s hoodie, tank and T-shirt conglomeration.

“We are like the little fish in a big, big pond,” Capicotto said of his decision to branch into swimwear against industry heavyweights such as Famous Stars and Straps and Hurley. But Glamour Kills offers street credit that most other national brands don’t: Bands.

The company boasts an impressive lineup of up-and-coming bands that reads like a who’s who of alternative pop-rock. Bands such as All Time Low, Silverstein, Cute Is What We Aim For, Forever The Sickest Kids, Hawthorne Heights and Drop Dead Gorgeous all rock Glamour Kills threads both on and offstage.

With its impressive band roster, loud colors and vast array of clothing options, Glamour Kills is the perfect outlet for finding that just-right T-shirt or gotta-have hoodie.

“We are new, hip, fresh and awesome,” Capicotto said. For more information about Glamour Kills as well as online shopping, head to www.glamourkills.com.