Aztec football: coaching grade

Aztec football: coaching grade
Monica Linzmeier, Editor In Chief

When Brady Hoke left for the University of Michigan in 2011, it was thought that the San Diego State football team’s coaching would take a substantial hit. However, that has not been the case considering head coach Rocky Long has taken the Aztecs to three straight bowl games since 2011. Prior to being head coach, Long was SDSU’s defensive coordinator after spending time as the head coach for the University of New Mexico. During the Long era, the Aztecs have finished with a winning record each season.

However, this year the grade for the coaching it would have to be a C, because they have nothing but average. The Aztecs are not off to a fast start this season beating Northern Arizona University 38-7, and losing a close game to the then-21st-ranked University of North Carolina 31-27. You can’t blame the offensive coaching for putting up nearly thirty points a game to start the season, but the defensive coaching could improve after giving up 31 points to 71st-ranked offense in the nation in North Carolina.

The coaching staff and the players face yet another challenge when they take a trip to Corvalis to face Oregon State University on Sept. 20. This could be a chance for the coaches to get a much needed road win to turn the season around.

Grade: C

Aztec football: coaching grade