Women’s basketball breezes by Point Loma in exhibition, 76-61

Cristian Rangel

In a fast-paced, high-scoring exhibition game that included freshman forward Aranxta Gomez Ferrer scoring 14 points in her first collegiate action, San Diego State women’s basketball held on for a 76-61 win against Point Loma Nazerene University.

“I love the little things (Gomez Ferrer) does,” head coach Stacie Terry said. “She is a really good rebounder and I’m looking forward to bigger and better things from her.”

SDSU went 12-19 last year under Terry, who is entering her third year.

Point Loma went 20-12 last season, led by sophomore forward Roya Rustamzada and junior guard Madison West.

The Aztecs pressed from the start of the game, which was their first experience playing four 10-minute quarters and caused four turnovers in the first five minutes, jumping out to a 16-10 lead with 4:36 left in the first quarter

Rustamzada scored the first 10 points of the game for Point Loma, but the first quarter ended with the Aztecs leading 23-12. They held Point Loma to 31-percent shooting in the first quarter and caused seven turnovers. Junior guard Arrielle Bostick led SDSU in scoring after the first half with seven points.

In the second quarter, Point Loma sophomore guard Alex Brunk hit a 3-pointer to cut the Aztecs’ lead to 25-20 with 6:40 left.  

From there SDSU went on a 8-3 run in 3:35 with Gomez Ferrer scoring six of the points, extending its lead to 33-23 with 3:05 left in the half.

Gomez said her role on the team is primarily as a rebounder, but she is looking to improve her outside shooting and play more physically.

Senior guard Ahjalee Harvey hit a 3-pointer with 52 seconds left and sophomore guard McKynzie Fort hit two free throws to bring the lead to 40-29 at half. The Aztecs had 19 of their 40 points come from bench players and shot 45 percent for the half.

Gomez led SDSU with eight points and the Aztecs had four players with five or more points at the end of the half. Rustamzada led all scorers with 14 points on 6-8 shooting.

“We’re not going to have someone averaging 20 points a game,” Terry said. “I want five players scoring 10 (points) a game.”

Both teams came out of the half shooting and the Sea Lions’ barrage of 3s cut the Aztecs’ lead to 52-45 with 4:08 to go.

The Aztecs were able to extend their lead to 61-50 at the end of the third quarter with a flurry of scoring from senior forward Deidra Smith. Rustamzada led Point Loma in scoring with 17 points and Smith led  the Aztecs with 14 points.

Smith said she didn’t mind playing quarters and it felt more like the professional game.

“We just have to get used to the breaks and utilize our timeouts,” she said.

SDSU endured the runs made by Point Loma in the fourth quarter and the game ended 76-61 in favor of the Aztecs.

SDSU finished the game shooting 21 percent from 3-point range. Point Loma shot 40 percent from long range and 40 percent overall.

“We have kids that are capable shooters so we just have to get them in the gym and keep shooting,” Terry said.

The Aztecs head out on the road to take on Cal State Long Beach next Friday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m.

Jacob Sisneros
Jacob Sisneros, Editor in chief
Jacob Sisneros is editor in chief of The Daily Aztec. He's a senior journalism major with past editorial experience at his community college paper La Voz Weekly. Jacob has been with The Daily Aztec for three semesters now after transferring from De Anza College in fall 2015. His dream job is to work for Sports Illustrated or The New York Times.
Cristian Rangel
Cristian Rangel, Photo Editor
Cristian is spanish major at SDSU, with a minor in Biology. He began working for The Daily Aztec in Fall 2015 and is currently the photo editor for the Spring 2016 semester.  He loves shooting concerts, sports, and anything photography related.