UPDATED: SDSU releases statement on Charlottesville

Jocelyn Moran
Hundreds gathered in Downtown San Diego’s Waterfront Park Sunday night to show solidarity with Heather Heyer, the woman who was killed protesting a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Story updated 5:08 p.m. Aug. 17 with comments from SDSU Chief Communications Officer Christine Hutchins

San Diego State officials released a statement late Wednesday in support of the victims of the violence in Charlottesville.

The statement, from SDSU President Sally Roush, Associated Students President Chimezie Ebiriekwe and University Senate Chair Marcie Bober-Michel, extended condolences to the family of Heather Heyer, who was killed protesting a white nationalist rally, as well as those of Virginia State Police officers Lt. H. Jay Cullen and Trooper Berke M.M. Bates, who died when their helicopter crashed while flying over the area.

University officials also denounced the ideologies and actions of neo-Nazi, Ku Klux Klan and white nationalist groups, “including those who participated in violence over the weekend leading to this horrifying situation.”

“Words and actions matter,” the statement read, “so this must be repeated with clarity:  The San Diego State University community does not condone bigotry, hatred or discrimination, and we will not tolerate any form of violence against individuals on the basis of their race, ethnicity, religion, gender or other social identities. We affirm and uphold our shared core values – diversity, inclusion, respect and understanding – and strive to provide an environment that is safe, supportive and equitable.”

According to the statement, university officials are reviewing “policies and procedures.”

SDSU Chief Communications Officer Christine Hutchins said Thursday the university was specifically looking at regulations on the “time, place and manner” of protests and events on campus, included under SDSU Building and Grounds policies. Hutchins said she was unable to elaborate further on what changes, if any, might be made.

Students who may feel fearful or unsafe were encouraged to contact Dr. Randy Timm, Dean of Students, at deanofstudents@mail.sdsu.edu. SDSU Counseling and Psychological Services professionals are also available at (619) 594-5220 and psycserv@mail.sdsu.

Employees seeking support were urged to contact the SDSU Center for Human Resources at (619) 594-6404.

Will Fritz, Editor in Chief
Will Fritz is the editor in chief of The Daily Aztec for the 2018-19 academic year. A fourth-year journalism major, he's a weekend breaking news reporter for City News Service, an editorial intern at Voice of San Diego and president of SDSU's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Follow him on Twitter at @fritzed_, and contact him directly at (619) 594-4190 or editor@thedailyaztec.com.
Jocelyn Moran, Managing Editor
Jocelyn Moran is the managing editor at The Daily Aztec and a senior journalism and Spanish student. She has been writing for The Daily Aztec since Fall 2015 and has covered protests, sports, club events and breaking news. Jocelyn aims to represent her community by telling people's stories in an effort to demonstrate different perspectives to readers. Send tips to me@thedailyaztec.com and follow her at @jocelynamoran.