Women’s soccer scores upset win over No. 22 Nebraska

Photo by Weicheng Han
Senior midfielder Angela Mitchell celebrates with several other SDSU players after a goal over USD.

The San Diego State women’s soccer team started its three-game road trip off with a bang Friday night, upsetting No. 22 University of Nebraska 2-1 in a double-overtime thriller in Lincoln, Neb.

The Aztecs improved to 3-3 on the season and 1-1 against ranked teams with the victory over the Cornhuskers.

The winning goal for the scarlet and black came with 19 seconds before the final horn in double overtime, when junior midfielder Nikolina Musto found senior forward Aliyah Utush, who delivered a cross pass to sophomore forward Rachel Speros. Speros found the back of net for her first goal of the season, securing the SDSU victory.

After a fairly even first half, Nebraska struck first with a goal in the 44th minute by sophomore midfielder Meg Brandt from about 10 yards out to give the Cornhuskers a 1-0 halftime lead.

After the half, SDSU responded quickly to even the score. Freshman forward Mia Root received a pass from freshman midfielder Sarah Broacha in the 49th minute and was able to convert from about 7 yards out past Nebraska sophomore goalkeeper Aubrei Corder. The goal served as Root’s second of the season and the first career assist for Broacha.

SDSU head coach Mike Friesen said that he was happy with the way the team responded in the second half. 

“We fought very hard,” Friesen said. “I loved the mentality to come back after giving up a soft goal at the end of the half.” 

For the rest of the second half, the Aztecs’ defense stood strong against an aggressive Nebraska team, who managed to take 11 shots. The immense defensive effort assisted in keeping the Cornhuskers off the scoreboard as the game neared halftime. 

In the first overtime period, neither team shined offensively, only managing one shot each. Nebraska also attempted just one shot in the second overtime period before Speros tickled the net for the winner.

Friesen said tonight’s win was very meaningful for the Aztecs as they look forward to their second consecutive road game at the University of Missouri on Sunday, Sept. 10.

“Tonight was a big-time team win,” Friesen said. “I am so proud of their hard work.”