Emergency services address pipe rupture on campus

Alexa Oslowski
A steam leak at the Music building back in November was one of the factors that led to the creation of the Change.org petition.

Around 2 p.m Saturday, multiple fire trucks appeared on campus to respond to a pipe rupture in the Music building on Campanile Walkway. Steam could be seen rising from the vents, and the building has been evacuated.

San Diego Police Lieutenant Ruben Villegas said there is a gas or water pipe rupture in the building, and the situation won’t escalate.

San Diego Gas & Electric spokesperson Wes Jones said they have sent a team the university to shut off the gas and remain on site.

Sharon Lucas, a student, confirmed while she was in the building it was a broken water pipe sending out hot steam.

Alexa Oslowski, Photo Editor
Alexandra Oslowski (she/her) is a 5th-year student studying journalism with a minor in art from Cameron Park, California. She is a transfer student from UC Santa Cruz and in her third year at San Diego State. She has a passion for photography, music, and writing. Alexa hopes to pursue a career in digital journalism or photojournalism. You can follow her on Twitter @AlexaROslowski.