Daily Aztec Postseason Awards

Best newcomer – Leandrew Childs

Highlight: A crushing decleating block against Wyoming that sprung Billy Blanton for a 23-yard scramble. The block appeared on ESPN’s Plays of the Week three days later.

Most Underrated – Justin Watson

Highlight: The bruising running back’s 38-yard touchdown run against Hawaii.

Special Teams Player of the Year – Freddie Edwards

Highlight: A blocked punt against Hawaii picked up by Jason Moore for a touchdown.

Best Hit – Julius McChristian

Highlight: It was a no-brainer. His crushing pop on an unsuspecting San Jose tight end after the ball was overthrown was awesome.

Best Use Of Trickery – Noel Prefontaine

Highlight: There are two of them. First, his fake punt and throw to McChristian against Cal. And his fake field goal touchdown run agianst San Jose.

Best Sack – Adrian Ioja

Highlight: Does it matter? Pick any one you want. Ioja was a menace all season long. His 10 tackles for a loss and eight sacks were by far the most on the team.

Best Kept Secret – Robert Whitman

Highlight: Consistency. The only time you hear an offensive lineman’s name is when he does something wrong. Who is Robert Whitman?

Best Catch – Az-zahir Hakim

Highlight: An over-the-shoulder 65-yard catch against Cal with his fingertips that he made as the ball was already by him. It wasn’t for a touchdown, but who cares? It was incredible.

Best interception – Ricky Parker

Highlight: What is it about Oklahoma that Ricky Parker loves? He picked off two passes against them in ’95. This year it was his only touchdown of the season and it was sweet. He stepped in front of a Justin Fuente pass and scooted the distance to set the tone for the Aztecs’ win.

Best Coach – Kennedy Pola

Highlight: His special teams. Pola made this group into one of the best in the nation.

Best Call – Tom Craft and Ted Tollner

Highlight: The desicision to go with the Billy Blanton sneak against Wyoming. It proved to be brilliant when Blanton scampered in unscathed.

Brightest Future – Kabeer Gbajabiamila

Highlight: Helping to run down a Fresno State running back 40-yards down field. Pretty good speed for a 6-foot-4, 225-pound redshirt freshman.

Daily Aztec Postseason Awards