LIVE AND DANGEROUS: Mayday Parade crowned king of Fall Ball

Maura Ochoa / Staff Photographer

Electric pop energy was in full swing last Friday night at The Fall Ball “09 presented by AP Tour at the House of Blues in San Diego.

The venue was comfortably crowded as the first band, The Secret Handshake, took to the stage. With noticeable distortion on the vocals, the Texas-based band played light-hearted songs centered on having fun and growing up 8212; a perfect fit for the largely adolescent crowd.

With an introductory sound bite from the TV classic “Saved By The Bell,” and an accompanying twirl around the stage with a prom dress-clad blowup doll by vocalist Matt Wilson; Set Your Goals began its set.

The San Francisco Bay-Area natives brought an energy and sound to the stage that was decidedly absent from the previous band. Holding true to its more pop-punk roots, Set Your Goals blasted the crowd with infectious choruses and gang vocals.

Though the idea of a circle pit and hardcore-style dancing was largely lost on the passive crowd, the band nonetheless delivered.

The crowd went crazy as The Academy Is… arrived on the stage awash in blue light. Ripping directly into one of its more energetic numbers, the band elicited a level of crowd participation that had, up to that point, not been seen.

With the crowd singing and bopping along, the band played popular songs both young and old such as “We’ve Got A Big Mess On Our Hands.”

Keeping consistent high energy, The Academy Is… left fans and foes entertained.

Though the crowd had thinned by the time the main act arrived on deck, those who remained were not disappointed.

Boasting a gladiator-themed intro song, Mayday Parade was attractively amiable. With raucous handclaps and sing-alongs filling the cavernous venue, the band set forth an impressive set.

Sounding much as it does on its CDs, Mayday Parade would undoubtedly have achieved the gold star achievement award of the night had one been awarded.

The band flawlessly delivered, providing audible support for Alternative Press’ decision to make the pop / alternative band its co-headlining band of this year’s Fall Ball.

For more information on the AP Fall Ball, visit www.altpress.com. For a list of upcoming shows at House of Blues, head to www.hob.com.