MOROCCAN: Marrakesh

Derrick Tuskan, Photo Editor

It’s the seventh-largest city in the United States with a population of a little more than one million residents as of 2004, according to www.infoplease.com. The grandeur of San Diego makes it especially rich in one area – its myriad of diverse cuisines from around the world.

Instead of spending a lot of time, money and effort to sample menus from multiple countries, worldwide dining can now be accomplished without ever leaving America’s Finest City.

And now, The Daily Aztec is taking it one step further by revealing the hottest spots in San Diego to sample a bite from anywhere across the globe.

Get ready for a taste of the world.

The Daily Aztec’s trip around the world begins in the northwestern tip of Africa.

Rooted in the country of Morocco is a cuisine that’s evolved over many centuries, making it one of the most diversified menus in the world. A number of cultures and civilizations have left their culinary mark on its food, creating rich, eclectic flavors and a one-of-a-kind dining experience.

But crossing the Atlantic isn’t necessary to try this food. At Marrakesh, located off Pearl Street in La Jolla, an authentic, five-course Moroccan meal is available right in San Diego.

On top of serving lots of food for a reasonable price, the restaurant boasts a romantic atmosphere and an ambiance that makes the United States seem like it’s a half a world away.

Forget about eating in regular chair-and-table form. Guests are seated on low-rising, cushioned couches lined with inlaid tables that border the restaurant. Large, colorful tapestries fill the ceiling, and music, which is said to always be playing in Morocco, can be heard throughout the room.

In traditional Moroccan style, the server begins the meal with a hand cleansing. This involves pouring rose-perfumed water over guests’ hands and into a large, metal pitcher called a ewer. And don’t expect a menu because there isn’t one – everyone gets the same dishes.

By this point, anticipation is high as the aromas of rich spices fill the air. But patience is a virtue in Marrakesh – each aspect of the night is what makes the experience authentic. It’s best to sit back, relax, sip wine and take it all in.

One more thing to remember: It’s Moroccan custom to use your hands to eat. So dig in and don’t be alarmed by the lack of utensils.

The meal begins with harira – a tomato-based vegetable soup that’s bursting with flavor. Following is a Moroccan salad of marinated eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers and spiced carrots. This is served with freshly baked bread wrapped in a warm cloth.

The next course will never be found at your local burger joint, but some of the ingredients may seem familiar.

It’s called bastilla, and its combination of ingredients might surprise even the most experienced chef. The outside is baked filo dough covered with powdered sugar and camel-shaped cinnamon cluster in the center. On the inside, the bastilla is filled with a chicken, egg and almond mixture with an array of spices that awaken the taste buds.

Sound odd? The strange thing is that it’s really tasty and the combination is very complementary.

Once the bastilla is devoured, Marrakesh’s next treat isn’t for the mouth – it’s for the eyes.

Adorned in chains, charms and sequins, the night’s entertainer – a belly dancer – takes center stage. As the pulsing beat of the music fills the air, she glides through the room swaying her hips with traditional dance moves that won’t be seen at the local night club.

As she concludes her mesmerizing routine, the server appears in the background, ready to serve the main course of a tenderly prepared meat.

Whether it’s the chicken, fish or lamb, each dish is mouth-watering and offers a distinguished taste that leaves no need to request a doggy bag.

The lamb is the most authentic Moroccan dish. It comes on a bed of couscous, a type of grainy rice, which is the country’s national dish. Alongside are saut

MOROCCAN: Marrakesh