LIVE AND DANGEROUS: Local bands perform for YMCA charity event

Karli Cadel / Staff Photographer

Ladies, put away your ball gowns. Gentlemen, forget about renting a tux. Finally, a charity event has been created that speaks to the college crowd. The Magdalena Ecke YMCA Fundraiser at Belly Up Tavern on April 2 was not a night of white linen tablecloths, extravagant dinners and overpriced auctions, but rather a relaxed evening of passionate, talented artists performing for a worthwhile cause.

“Great local bands for a great local cause. Community coming together for our neighborhood and our own community,” said Emily Coupe, fundraiser coordinator and special events director for the Magdalena Ecke YMCA.

For the event, those in attendance only had to pay a cover fee of $10, half of which will go to support various youth programs at the Magdalena Ecke YMCA.

Don’t be fooled by the inexpensive ticket price. A night of entertainment worth well beyond its cost, guests were given performances by some of the most promising artists of the San Diego music scene. The evening began with the group Red Handed, a classic rock band that warmed up the crowd with such favorites as The Beatles’ well-known tune “Come Together.” Following it was the group Don’t Bore Nina, whose urban-chic style, stage charisma and indie-rock vocals enthralled the crowd from start to finish.

Combined, the first two groups featured a total of three YMCA employees, who were completely at home as they took to the stage, encouraging the audience to have fun while supporting a great cause. Next to perform was the moody, indie band Calico Horse, that doled out dreamlike melodies enhanced by the haunting vocals of lead singer Emily Neveu.

The standout performance of the evening went to Stripes and Lines, regular performers at Belly Up Tavern. This four-member band has been growing in popularity, and it’s easy to see why. Its sound, a unique blend of the indie, rock and progressive genres, skillfully mixes energizing melodies with intricate lyrics.

In a time when most musicians in the industry are starting to sound the same, Stripes and Lines is a reminder of how originality can strike a chord with fans. To learn more about the bands involved in this event, check out these Web sites: Don’t Bore Nina at www.myspace.com/dontborenina, Calico Horse at www.myspace.com/calicohorsemusic or www.awakeintheclouds.com, and Stripes and Lines at www.myspace.com/stripesandlines. Also, for more information on The Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA, visit www.ecke.ymca.org/english and last but not least, for further information regarding upcoming concerts at Belly Up Tavern, visit www.bellyup.com.