LIVE AND DANGEROUS: Dave Matthews leaves the crowd aching for more

You don’t have to love Dave Matthews Band to appreciate its talent. Or do you?

With no opening act and no big name sponsors, one may think it has become a bit pretentious with its sustained popularity. It’s like an indie band trapped inside an epic Billboard Top 40 band’s body. But enough of the gender band bending – on to the show.

Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre was swarming with fans. You don’t need great seats to experience the history making of the night. Instead, opt for the lawn adorned with dancing hippies and outcast smokers.

Suddenly, the house music grows silent and the lights go dim. Emotions are high after the untimely death of its saxophone player, LeRoi Moore on Aug. 19 because of injuries sustained in an all-terrain vehicle accident on his Virginia estate. One of the founding members of the band, Moore was known for his jazz- inspired solos and contributions. Jeff Coffin of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones has been taking his place for Dave Matthew’s summer tour.

A glow begins to emanate, it’s the shining blue luminosity coming from the huge television screens behind the stage. Raindrops fall and a flute starts the first notes of “Bartender” a song from its 2002 album “Busted Stuff.” Dave Matthews’ face is swiftly plastered onto the jumbo projectors and reflects a man in tune with his music. His opening song is deeply moving as his voice cracks and seeps sadness to the pensive crowd.

Then, a flute solo ensues. Yes – a flute solo. Or, in more accurate terms, a pennywhistle solo proceeds for what seems to be an entire five minutes. But reflecting on the intense energy and fusion of seven different instruments, a person can respect that a pennywhistle is included. Jeff Coffin delivered though, coiffed with bald head and braided goatee, which was a stark contrast from the late Moore’s dark sunglasses and dreadlocked hair.

A single light focuses on Matthews, his acoustic guitar strums and the beginning chords of “American Baby” echo though the crowd. It all seems surreal, especially when you look around and see multitudes of closed eyes and silently moving lips. The whole arena was black except for this shining light, beating down on one of America’s most famous musicians. One can only close his or her eyes and listen along while the drums beat rhythms straight to the brain.

Its rendition of Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer” and Talking Head’s “Burning Down the House” reflects the many talents of such a versatile band. This is later validated while standing in line for the bathroom observing the lone cowboy with his hat and boots and all the youngsters attending with their parent’s screaming, “Mom, it’s ‘Crush’! I love this song!”

There’s nothing like down-home entertainment to bring people from all walks of life together: a city full of contradictions with different types of dress, different lingo, different neighborhoods, yet we all managed to join together peacefully for an intense night of musical genius.

For more information on Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre events go to: www.livenation.com, and for more information on the Dave Matthews Band tour go to: www.davematthewsband.com.