AS BEAT 2.20.2012

Restructuring Update

The Restructuring Committee has agreed upon a new multi-branch structure for Associated Students in which a board of directors, judicial board, university board and campus life board work together while remaining in control of their own committees. The university board will oversee all academic committees, the campus life board will focus on extracurricular programs and the board of directors will handle the corporate side of AS.

Members of the Asian Pacific Student Alliance and the Andres Bonifacio Samahan, a Filipino cultural group, attended the meeting to discover how the Committee would include cultural organizations.

“My only worry is that … (the Restructuring Committee is) going to stick all the cultural organizations into one branch; and from that branch you’re going to have one representative to go to A.S. or the Board of Directors, and that one representative is supposed to represent all those organizations,” APSA member Devyn Brown said to the Restructuring Committee on Friday.

This could potentially be a problem, because each cultural organization may have unique issues and concerns, and their voices could be pigeon-holed through having only one representative. The committee assured Brown the point of the restructuring was to ensure cultural groups would have more efficient representation.

-Compiled by Contributor Amy Williams

AS BEAT 2.20.2012