SDSU versus Nevada

Offense

Aztecs: Both the running and passing games worked well for the Aztecs against the Colorado State defense last Saturday. Senior quarterback Ryan Katz followed up his impressive performance through the air and on the ground against the University of Hawai’i by going 16-for-22 for 181 yards and two touchdowns to go along with a rushing touchdown against the Rams. Much of SDSU’s success on offense in the past three weeks is because of Katz. Sophomore running back Adam Muema also put up big numbers on Saturday, rushing for 105 yards and two touchdowns. This game will most likely be a high-scoring shootout. Wolf Pack: The University of Nevada has arguably the best running game in the country, averaging 285.7 rushing yards per game. Led by Stefphon Jefferson, who ran for 185 yards and three touchdowns last week, the Wolf Pack pulled off a nearly flawless second half offensively, outscoring the University of Nevada, Las Vegas 28-6 in the second half to earn the win. Look for Jefferson to continue his success against the Aztec defense this weekend.

Edge: Wolf Pack

Defense

Aztecs: The Aztecs played solid defense against the Rams, allowing only 14 points from Colorado State’s mediocre offense. The Aztecs capitalized on three turnovers by the Rams, converting each turnover into a score. All turnovers were timely for the Aztecs, as the Rams could never get enough momentum going on offense. The task of containing Jefferson and Nevada’s running attack will be a tough task for the Aztecs, but look for the Aztec defense to keep Jefferson’s yards to a minimum.

Wolf Pack: The Wolf Pack defense has allowed more than 20 points in each of their seven games this season. However, their offense seems to make up for what their defense lacks an ability to score. If the Wolf Pack can contain the dual threat of Muema and senior running back Walter Kazee and limit Katz’ big-play potential, they will have the edge in this matchup.

Edge: Wolf Pack Special Teams

Aztecs: The Aztecs’ special teams have limited opponents’ big returns the past few weeks. Still, SDSU gave up several 15- plus yard returns last Saturday, including a 73-yard return, but have improved on this aspect since opening weekend of the season. As long as the kickoff and punt teams keep their lanes, look for the Aztecs to limit the Wolf Pack return game. Senior kicker Chance Marden has made four straight field goals after starting off the season 0-for-3.

Wolf Pack: Nevada has played solid special teams this year, limiting big-play opportunities and holding opponents to minimal yardage until their defense can triumph. Both teams seem to be equally strong on special teams, but expect to see at least one or two big returns during the game.

Edge: Tied

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Rocky Long has the Aztecs playing exceptional football in the last two games. Offensive numbers have been up, especially in the passing game and offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig has implemented schemes to keep defenses off guard. A win against Nevada would be monumental for conference play. Wolf Pack: Head coach Chris Ault, also known as the innovator of the “pistol offense,” has his team playing at an extremely high level. The Wolf Pack has a real chance to contend with No. 22 Boise State for the Mountain West Conference title, partly because of its explosive offense. Nevada defeated the University of California, Berkeley of the Pacific-12 Conference on opening weekend and hasn’t looked back since, boasting a 6-1 record.

Edge: Wolf Pack

Prediction

Wolf Pack 31, Aztecs 17

SDSU versus Nevada