UNICEF trick-or-treats for monetary donations

Instead of collecting candy, this year’s Halloween brings an opportunity to collect money for a good cause. At San Diego State, the freshman national honor society Phi Eta Sigma is supporting Trick-Or-Treat for UNICEF. UNICEF is a United Nations program helping children in developing countries. They focus on education, disease prevention, child protection, survival and development. The program offers a chance to raise money for UNICEF in a fun and engaging way.

“The trick-or-treat program helps raise money for UNICEF and 100 percent of the money raised goes directly to UNICEF,” Phi Eta Sigma Treasurer Vi Phan said. “It’s for a good cause and it’s like children helping children.”

Phi Eta Sigma members can pick up a collection box on campus, but non- members can participate by ordering a personal box and materials online, sending a donation from a mobile phone or creating a fundraising Web page. There are various ways to collect money, including going door to door on Halloween and asking friends and family for donations.

“I raised probably about $50 just going door to door from strangers,” Phan said. “And the other $50 I had were from people I knew.”

Phi Eta Sigma members have high hopes for their part in fundraising for UNICEF this Halloween. Phan said if at least 100 members participate, the group can raise between $500 to $1,000. This is the first time Phi Eta Sigma participated in this event as a way to involve their members and attempt to make an impact. Everyone, Phi Eta Sigma member or not, is encouraged to participate in this cause, which shares the celebration of Halloween to help children in need.