Aztecs come together for Kwanzaa

Christopher B. Keller, Staff Photographer

The Afrikan Student Union hosted a Kwanzaa celebration on Monday, bringing students and community members together to present the history, traditions and meaning of the holiday.

As African drums thumped in the background of conversations about food and finals, the event promptly commenced at 7 p.m. in the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center ballroom.

Each round table was decorated with roses and African-printed place mats urging family-style conversations and laughter. The environment encouraged guests to relax and open their minds to a holiday that holds tremendous value in African-American culture.

“We wanted to have a holiday where we could create ourselves, celebrate ourselves, sustain and develop ourselves and introduce ourselves to history and humanity,” Organization Us member Robert Tambuzi said.

Kwanzaa, founded by Organization Us, is annually celebrated from Dec. 26 through Jan. 1 and originated from the first harvest celebrations in Africa from which the holiday received its name.

“It is important to remember our past,” Tambuzi said. “We must never forget where we came from and we must always praise the bridges that carried us over.”

The holiday was brought to life by Maulana Karenga, who sought to bring African-Americans together after the Watts Revolt during the 1960s. Karenga wanted to strengthen and encourage history, values, family, community and culture while providing recovery during a critical time.

Instilled within the holiday is a common concern for core values and understanding.  During the seven days of Kwanzaa a candle is lit every day to represent the celebration of one of the seven core principles. The first is Umoja (unity), then Kujichagulia (self-determination), Ujima (collective work and responsibility), Ujamaa (cooperative economics), Nia (purpose), Kuumba (creativity) and lastly, Imani (faith).

“It reminds African-Americans and people of all races and backgrounds to stay true to certain pillars prominent in their culture and tells us to be thankful for all that we have in life,” political science freshman Janera Montano said.

The night paid homage to the feeling of unity Kwanzaa provides for African-Americans by hosting performances such as singing, poetry and authentic African dancing.

“Kwanzaa really gives us a chance to celebrate what our ancestors went through and what they worked so hard to achieve,” ASU president and business management junior Mariah Kelly said.

“It is time for us to stand in the affirmation that they gave us, to allow us to perpetuate ourselves on the level that they gave us,” Kelly said. “They want to see us educate ourselves and to always be proactive members of society.”

With the lighting of all seven candles and one last naming of the seven principles, the elegant ceremony came to a close, leaving guests with a fresh perspective on a holiday offering new and progressive ways of thinking.

Aztecs come together for Kwanzaa