TV stations jump the shark with overwhelming advertising

Advertising is a big deal in the U.S., as in many other countries. However, according to a report by Zenith Optimedia, the U.S. had the world’s largest ad market in 2011. Last year, North America ad expenditures almost equaled those of Europe and Latin America combined. The numbers are projected to keep growing.

Commercials are everywhere and have an impact on everyone’s lives, even those who think they don’t notice and aren’t affected by ads. It doesn’t matter if someone hates McDonald’s and chooses not to eat there. Everyone recognizes the “I’m lovin’ it” slogan.

Expenditure trends are shifting these days from traditional to online media, mainly because the Internet is a powerful tool that enables targeted advertising. However, the TV remains influential. This was recently reflected in this year’s Super Bowl, with 30-second ads priced at about $4 million.

Viewers watching a show on TV must sit through many commercial breaks. Although they aren’t long—usually no more than 2 or 3 minutes—they appear every 10 minutes or so.

The audience deserves better. It’s true that TV stations need advertising to meet their financial needs but there are other ways to distribute advertising that wouldn’t be as bothersome.

Having two longer commercial breaks—maybe 5 to 8 minutes each during an hour-long show—seems more reasonable to me. This way, there won’t be as many interruptions bothering the audience. In the end, it will be beneficial for both advertisers and spectators. Nowadays content is accessible through the Internet where ads are not as invasive.

There are occasions when people make commercials the main attraction, such as during the Super Bowl. On this day, millions of people sit in front of the TV to watch not only the game, but also commercials and the halftime show (especially those who aren’t really interested in football).

Companies invest a lot of money to advertise during the Super Bowl because they know it’s worth it. They know a large portion of the country—and many people outside of it—will be watching. They also know viewers will not only be watching the ads, but be talking about them and posting comments on blogs or social networks.

To compare, advertising in soccer is less annoying and more effective for the audience. Because the game only has one major 15-minute break during halftime, it’s not that easy to place ads in the middle of the game. Most of the teams have sponsors that pay them to advertise on their jerseys. For example, if I watched the game between Real Madrid and Manchester United, I would enjoy the match and, at the same time, see Biwn and Aon, the companies advertised on their jerseys stuck in my mind.

I know these are two different types of advertising—the first one focuses more on products and the second on corporations. I know many football fans would disagree with me because they would never want to see their teams wearing jerseys with ads on them, but it’s less annoying for viewers.

Advertising is crucial and involves a great amount of money. It’s everywhere, especially TV. However, this isn’t an excuse to expose viewers to commercials in such an overwhelming way.