Entrepreneur Day offers SDSU new opportunities

03_14_13_News_EntrepreneurDay_CM1On Tuesday, San Diego State students, alumni and companies lined Campanile Walkway as part of Entrepreneur Day, collaborating to create a lively and interesting experience for all passersby.

Every year, SDSU’s Entrepreneur Society hosts the event, where budding businesses can showcase their ideas and expand their networks.

“It looks interesting and it’s nice to get to see new ventures and to learn,” computer science senior Tina Kristin Jenson said.

Jenson said she enjoyed hearing the story of Volcom’s cofounder at the “Meet the Entrepreneur” tent, which was set up as a place for aspiring student entrepreneurs to hear success stories from established business professionals.

“There’s always opportunity in the most recessional times or the best of times,” cofounder of Volcom and founder of McElroy Communications Thomas McElroy said.  “If you can play the card of knowing the right people and having the right credentials, then you can get a job anywhere.”

Entrepreneurship is a viable career option for any aspiring student with revolutionary ideas. Creating a new company, as opposed to joining an established one, can stimulate the economy and gives graduates the unique opportunity of being one’s own boss.

“There’s always money to be made. Whether the market is down or the market is up, there is always something to be done,” Entrepreneur Society member and religious studies senior Justin Ancheta said.

Ideas flourish in entrepreneurship, such as Ancheta’s belief in “cause capitalism,”—when part of the cost of a product goes to a greater cause.

McElroy said the event benefits all students involved, whether an aspiring entrepreneur or an interested bystander.

“It shows that students have the capability to create something small and grow it,” McElroy said. “I mean, there are growing and thriving businesses here and they’re the same as everyone else. All these companies, within about the last 24 months, have started. Look at where they are now.”