Women’s basketball opens with throttling of CSUSM

Once they got going, they didn’t stop.

The San Diego State women’s basketball team overcame a slow start to win their first, and only, exhibition game: a 77-45 thumping over the California State University, San Marcos Cougars.

The game was also the first game under new Aztec head coach Stacie Terry.

The Aztecs were led by freshman guard Ariell Bostick, who scored 17 points with six steals in her first collegiate action and senior center Cierra Warren who added a double-double with 16 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks.

[quote]“I’m proud that she didn’t act like a freshman would and showed that she knows how to play the game that she’s here to play,” Warren said after the game.[/quote]

In the opening exchanges, the Cougars came ready to play as they leaped out to an 8-2 lead. However, things quickly changed as soon as the Aztecs began running a full court press defense. That caused multiple turnovers, 10-second violations and baskets for the Aztecs as SDSU went on a 19-0 run to go up 21-8.

After that, SDSU put the game into cruise control as they built upon their 19-point halftime lead to win by 32.

It was a good start for the Aztecs, who travel to Sacramento State this Sunday to kick off their regular season schedule, but coach Terry says there is still room to improve upon.

[quote]“I think we started out with some nerves … they exposed a couple things; we have some things to work on in practice,” Terry said.[/quote]

Nevertheless, a win is a win, and both Terry and Warren are happy about their first win.

[quote]“It was all around teamwork that go us where we are,” Warren said. [/quote]

The Aztecs won’t be back home until Nov. 18, when they play at 6 p.m. against the University of San Diego at Viejas Arena.