Tracks and treats for the weekend picks

As we creep closer to the spookiest day of the year, more and more frightening festivities crawl out.  Here at SDSU we get one of with Aztec Fright Nights. If scary sights aren’t your cup of tea, there are must-see musical acts in town with much less ghoulish flair.

Fright Nights @ Student Union

Thursday Oct. 16 the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union will transform into a spooky spectacular for students to enjoy. Aztecs are encouraged to come dressed up in their costumes of choice for a night of Halloween antics, which include pumpkin carving and a double feature of classic Halloween flicks “Nightmare on Elm Street” and “Halloween.” The festivities kick off at 9 p.m. and go until the clock strikes midnight. The Lee and Frank Goldberg Courtyard of the student union will play host to the night of frights and fun.

Yellowcard @ North Park Theatre

Most famous for its hit “Ocean Avenue,” Los Angeles-based rock band Yellowcard makes the short drive south as part of its nation-wide tour promoting its album “Lift a Sail” that released earlier this month. The band’s San Diego stop will be Friday, Oct. 17 at the North Park Theatre, just a stone’s throw from San Diego State. Yellowcard brings along Memphis May Fire and Emarosa along for the ride as its opening acts. Tickets for the all-ages show range from $22.50 for advance purchase and $27.50 the day of the show.

Ray LaMontagne @ SDSU

Indie musician Ray LaMontagne brings his years of rocking music to Cal Coast Credit Union Theatre Friday, Oct. 17. A decade ago LaMontagne released his debut album “Trouble,” and he’s kept it rocking with the release of his fifth studio album “Supernova” earlier this year. Tickets for this are going fast with most of the closer seats already sold. However there still are tickets available toward the back for the last minute Aztec who’s looking for quality music to enjoy on a Friday night. The bulk of the remaining tickets range from approximately $47 to $60.

Rusko @ Bassmnt

U.K. electronic dance music legend Rusko brings his Fall 2014 tour to San Diego where he’ll play downtown club Bassmnt Saturday, Oct. 18. Hailing from Leeds, Rusko bust onto the EDM scene with the single “Cockney Thug.” Since then he’s been playing sets all over ranging from club DJ sets to big festivals. His latest release, ‘! Volume 2,” came out mid September of this year and features the upbeat, party jam “Saxophone Stomp.” General admission tickets are still available for $20 and bottle service is available for the 21 and up only crowd.

Nick Knott, Entertainment Editor
Nick is a journalism senior and in his second year at the Daily Aztec.  After starting as a staff writer in the features section, Nick switched to entertainment as the section editor.  Nick will be graduating this upcoming May with a B.A. in journalism.  He ultimately wants to work in the magazine industry covering music, sneakers or streetwear fashion.
Tracks and treats for the weekend picks