AS website glitch rejects award nominations

A website glitch prevented nominations for Associated Students’ Aztec Achievement Awards to be received between Feb. 10 and Feb. 23. The deadline is now extended until March 9.

The annual awards recognize contributions students, faculty, staff and community partners make to the San Diego State community. There are about 20 awards.

The cause of the glitch is unknown, A.S. Executive Vice President and Chair of the Awards Committee Kevin Hancock said.

“It’s the first time with the new application system,” he said. “This was the first year nominations could be received through a more streamlined email system.”

The glitch was caught on Feb. 27 when only four nominations had been submitted, and the four were in an unreadable font. Associated Students announced the glitch on its Twitter account on March 2.

“Unfortunately I wasn’t checking applications during that time period,” he said. “In the future, it would be better to be checking early and frequently.”

Hancock said emails were sent out to the majority of student groups on campus.

“We didn’t have time to submit an application for a campus-wide email,” he said.

Hancock is the only one with access to the new account that receives submissions.

Because of the computer glitch, the nomination deadline was extended from March 2 to March 9 at 4 p.m.

Hancock said the awards will be ordered a week later than scheduled, but the April 23 awards ceremony is still on track.

Associated Students have received 120 new email nominations since the website glitch was corrected.

“A lot of people were waiting until the weekend before, so this may have worked in our favor,” Hancock said.

Adriana Millar, Assistant News Editor
Adriana Millar is a senior studying communications at San Diego State. She is the Assistant News Editor for The Daily Aztec.