Entertainment Editor’s Weekend Picks

The semester is slowly creeping towards its half way point. Spring Break is still too far off, and the end of the semester is even further away — almost too far to even see. But, that doesn’t mean that Aztecs have to wait until those all mighty hiatuses from school to get out and have a blast at some awesome local events. Whether it’s art, music, theatre, or sports; there is something out there for every Aztec to do this weekend.

DJ Mustard
When: Friday March 13, 9 p.m.
Where: Bassmnt

Bassmnt always is on top of bringing the most highly regarded talent to its downtown venue, and this DJ set definitely continues that tradition. DJ Mustard has essentially taken over the hip-hop production game by storm. His new-school West Coast production style has helped make artists like YG and Tyga the stars they are today. Mustard’s return to San Diego is 21 and up only event and tickets cost $10 for pre-sale and $15 for general admission. If Aztecs seek a fun night out, this is definitely worth the trip, as DJ Mustard will have Bassmnt jumping all night.

Alice: Curiouser and Curiouser 
When: March 14-15, 2 p.m.
Where: Don Powell Theater 

San Diego State’s School of Theatre, Television and Film presents its rendition of the classic tale “Alice in Wonderland.” The set of performances help celebrate the tale’s 150th anniversary, and SDSU has plenty in store for theatre-goers to enjoy. The weekend matinee performances will host a meet and greet with the cast and crew after each show, as well as host some adoptable furry rabbits in conjunction with the San Diego House Rabbit Society. Tickets range from $14 for students and $16 for general admission. These matinee showings allow attendees to take in some quality theatre and still have time left in the day for other fun adventures.

Men’s Basketball Seeding Party
When: Sunday March 15, 2 p.m.
Where: Woodstock’s Pizza 

It’s that time of year — March Madness. After SDSU takes on the Mountain West Conference in Las Vegas, they will find themselves being seeded for the biggest tournament in college basketball. Show support for the Aztec men’s basketball team by wearing Aztec gear, which could earn Aztecs prizes, as well as get discounts on beverages and Woodstock’s most excellent pizza. This is the time of year when SDSU bands together to cheer on one of its best athletic teams on campus. And theres no better way to do that than with friends, pizza and good times.

Gravity and Grace: Monumental works by El Anatsui 
When: March 6 – June 28
Where: Museum of Contemporary Art, Downtown

This brand new exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art will feature 11 masterfully crafted metal sculptures that cover the walls and the floor. Additionally, it will feature pairings and wood work also done by artist El Anatsui. The work is incredibly powerful, as El Anatsui draws inspiration from global conflicts and struggles from his life in the homeland of Ghana and Nigeria. The different mediums allow visitors to expose themselves to a range of art styles and feel the unique moving power in each.

Nick Knott
Nick Knott, Entertainment Editor
Nick is a journalism senior and in his second year at the Daily Aztec.  After starting as a staff writer in the features section, Nick switched to entertainment as the section editor.  Nick will be graduating this upcoming May with a B.A. in journalism.  He ultimately wants to work in the magazine industry covering music, sneakers or streetwear fashion.
Entertainment Editor’s Weekend Picks