SDSU dominates Boise

Katie Foster, Staff Photographer
Katie Foster, Staff Photographer

The weekend consisted of nothing but victories for the San Diego State women’s volleyball team, as it moved its way into second place in Mountain West Conference standings.

On Thursday, SDSU hosted the Air Force Falcons at Peterson Gym and beat them in three easy sets.

Air Force trailed the Aztecs close in the first set, but with a combination of powerful aces, kills and blocks, the first set belonged to SDSU, taking the set win 25-17.

The next two sets, the girls were on fire; the Aztecs exhibited great teamwork by constantly communicating with one another and chasing the ball down no matter where it went.

The connection between the team members worked to their advantage, defeating the Falcons 25-17 in the second set, and 25-15 in the third set for the game win.

Saturday, however, was the game that had been heavily anticipated.

SDSU faced the Boise State Broncos, new conference rivals after the Broncos joined the MW this season.

Evidently, the Aztecs still had the same energy as they did Thursday, defeating Boise State in three consecutive sets.

The introductory set included three kills per person from senior outside hitters Paije Pearson and Kyley Sexton, along with sophomore outside hitter Raegan Shelton and sophomore middle blocker Emily Harris.

It was difficult for the Broncos to respond to SDSU’s defense, and consequently, the Aztecs took the first set 25-15.

Junior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch came in during the second set and was a huge contributor to the team maintaining its momentum. Hannasch in the second set alone had seven kills, leading the team to sweep the second set 25-12.

Boise State almost made a comeback in the final set; the Broncos tied at 23-23.

Nonetheless, freshman Chaiymin Steel’s six kills helped SDSU take the third set and the game, 25-23.

SDSU now has an impressive overall record of 12-5, and a record of 5-2 in the MWC. The next match for the Aztecs will be at 7 p.m. tomorrow against local rival University of San Diego at USD’s Jenny Craig Pavilion.

SDSU dominates Boise