Don’t let uneasy situations affect your game

Daniel Meza / Staff Photographer

Most people avoid awkward and uncomfortable encounters, but such situations can be inevitable, even during the most romantic of times. Dating is filled with excitement, fun and first loves. However, these unforgettable experiences can be accompanied by the complete opposite: unsuccessful blind dates, encounters with exes and other romantic encounters that are less than ideal. It is important to remember to not let these uncomfortable moments interfere with dating habits 8212; there are easy ways to handle these situations and prevent them from imposing on your love life.

Blind dates
Friends might think they are doing their pals a favor by setting them up on a blind date, but sometimes these can go terribly awry. Not knowing who will be sitting across the dinner table can be stressful and nerve-racking. The best manner in which to handle this situation is to stay calm. After just meeting each other, these “blind” couples are at times expected to make small talk while sharing a friendly dinner. Even if both parties appear to hit it off, it is hard to form a relationship over a plate of pasta. But, there are times when a blind date turns out to be a success. When people agree to go on a blind date, they often feel awkward and uncomfortable, especially in a coerced setting. Keeping the mood light and being personable are the best ways to handle a possibly challenging situation.

Too much information

On any type of date, there is the risk of too much information being revealed. Keep in mind that this excludes conversing about hobbies, schooling or family, because such topics are important. Rather, the kind of information usually considered “too much” pertains to marriage plans, intricate details on past relationships and sexual history. If a relationship blossoms after a few dates and both parties are comfortable sharing more intimate information the coast is clear, but anytime beforehand might be considered inappropriate. In these situations it might be awkward and uncomfortable to try and divert the conversation, but there are a few tricks to redirect uneasy conversations.
“If aguy revealed a little too much about himself, I would just laugh it off and steer the conversation in a different direction,” classics senior Stacia Arnold said. “I think to avoid making this worse, you should just avoid asking them to elaborate on whatever they just talked about. It’s awkward already, don’t make it worse.”

Ex alert
The worst thing that can happen after a breakup is running into that certain someone in public. After an intense love or a fun, summer fling, encountering an ex is always uneasy. Both parties, regardless of who dumped whom, feel uncomfortable and are often at a loss for words when they see each other post-breakup. And these situations can escalate if the encounter involves a new boyfriend or girlfriend. Often people feel ashamed and depressed after a breakup and seeing their ex out with another person can be a difficult sight to handle.

Political science freshman Tom Rivera, said the best way to handle an encounter with an ex is to ultimately be polite and civil; saying a friendly “hello” never hurts. The situation after a breakup is naturally awkward to begin with, so in an effort to lessen the unpleasantness, it is best to just be nice, according to Rivera. Whether both parties have already moved on or are taking time off from relationships, being cordial to an ex is the best way to help with any future encounters.

In any of these uneasy and awkward occurrences, it’s best to remain calm and act friendly to the other party, in hopes of calming the situation and keeping the mood lighthearted.

8212;Aurelia Acquati is a statistics freshman.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.