Going green for cupcakes

Michelle Ciccarelli Lerach is truly one of La Jolla’s gems. The blonde, petite owner of the popular bakery Cups is probably the nicest store owner you’ll meet here in San Diego. I recently toured her adorable kitchen, where Michelle told me all about her ventures into the baking world. Watch the video below!

What’s Sweet:

o Everything, and I mean everything, is sustainable. Cups is the environmentalist’s dream come true; the floors are made of pebbles, the countertops are constructed of recycled glass and even things that look plastic are compostable.

o Learn to cook really good food. One of the things Michelle wanted to do when she opened Cups was to pair an education aspect with the store. There are classes available, including one I think would be beneficial to the fellas out there. It’s called “Men on Cooking: The Way to Your Valentine’s Heart” which helps the dudes create a meal their date won’t forget.

o Cups has gone mobile. I doubt you’ve seen a bakery in San Diego with an iPhone app! Cups is staying ahead of the game with an app that lists the daily flavors and specials. Best of all? It’s free!

o Cups is giving back. Michelle constantly thanks the community she loves so dearly by donating cooking classes to charity auctions.

o The bakers make their own cheese. Cups prides itself in using organic ingredients, which means buying local produce and keeping it green. But the coolest thing is that the bakers here are so devoted to taste that they make their own cheeses, such as ricotta or goat cheese, for fillings and frostings. It’s truly a difference you can taste.

Photo courtesy of Sarah Grieco

o Cups is setting the standard for sustainability in La Jolla. As the only bakery in La Jolla that has 3-Star Green Restaurant Certification, Cups is stepping it up. With a location so close to the water’s edge, it’s nice to know that someone is paying attention to the environment around them. Props to Cups for being 100% enviro-friendly.

Quick Tips:

o Try some of the unique flavors. While most bakeries give you the usual chocolate, vanilla or red velvet cupcake, Michelle and her crew give you something different to try. “We have 100 flavors,” she said, and each one sounds better than the last. My favorite? The crème brûlée cupcake, with a gooey filling and caramelized sugar on top.

o Have a craving for something sweet, but counting calories? Ask for a mini. Most of the flavors come in little sizes that give you just enough to curb even the most voracious sweet tooth.

o Bring some scones to work. Something people might not know is that Cups has the best sugary glazed scones this side of the country. Michelle urged me to try one of the berry scones, and it didn’t disappoint. If I brought these to the office, they’d be gone in a flash!

o Get some vitamin D. The milk bar here is one of a kind, serving up strawberry milk (made from scratch!) that tastes like it was served up by the dairy fairies themselves.

o Drink something incredible. For those who want to live on the wild side, try the cupshake. It’s a simple concept really; the baristas mix a cupcake into a milkshake, and presto! The cupshake is born. Fellow Daily Aztec editor Sarah Kovash swears it is the best thing she has ever sipped on, especially when it involves mascarpone cupcake filling.

So what are you waiting for? Ditch the line at that other cupcake place down the road, and come to Cups for a delicious, organic cupcake that’s sure to put a smile on your face.

Going green for cupcakes