How to plan the perfect trip to Palm Springs

Thinkstock

The weekend means there are only a few days to escape the mundane routine of everyday life. Spontaneity tugs at your car keys, but the thought of falling into a money pit is enough to return you to the couch.

Put the keys in the ignition; I’ve got a plan.

A popular refuge for Hollywood legends including Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball and Elvis Presley, Palm Springs offers the finest options in luxurious weekend getaways at affordable prices. This isn’t just Mom and Dad’s vacation spot anymore. It is literally the hottest place to be. Yes, this is partly due to its location in the desert area of Coachella Valley, just two and a half hours northeast of San Diego, but the new wave of young Palm Springs enthusiasts and the various day and night activities keep Palm Springs sizzling all year long.

WHERE TO STAY

Palm Springs offers comfortable accommodations with trendy decor and quirky charm.

Ace Hotel & Swim Club

Popular with the younger crowd, Ace Hotel offers an offbeat interior full of old radios, vinyls and other retro flair, as well as on-site events including karaoke, live music, pool parties with live music and DJs, trivia nights and film showings. Located inside the facility, Feel Good Spa will do just that, renew your body and spirit with massages, facials and wellness classes. Average nightly rate is about $200, but with so many activities and events happening right inside the hotel, you won’t have to spend your money elsewhere.

Ivy Palm Resort & Spa

For something a bit cheaper but just as classy, try the Ivy Palm. A five-minute quick drive leads to the main street of Palm Springs. Enjoy the seclusion with amenities including continental breakfast, Wi-Fi, a swimming pool and popular restaurant Cowboy Way BBQ, located inside. The average nightly rate is $90. Enjoy reduced rates and save money by sharing a room with a few friends and extending your stay another day or two to escape the midweek rush.

WHAT TO DO

Aerial Tramway

Ever since Francis Crocker completed construction of this tramway in 1963, visitors have taken the ride from Palm Springs up to the San Jacinto Mountains. Incredible views surround the ride and you might just find some snow at the top. Hiking, cross-country skiing and camping are just a few things to do once you get up the mountain.

Vintage Shopping

Midcentury style is everywhere right now. Period dramas such as “Mad Men” have piqued interests for all things retro and quirky. Vintage shops are scattered along Palm Springs, with the best on the main street, Palm Canyon Drive. Take a stroll and find a little atomic, midcentury flair to take home with you. Poolside Lounging Need I say more?

WHERE TO EAT

Sherman’s Deli and Bakery

It’s easy to get caught up in the glamour of Palm Springs, but when its time for a hearty (no kidding around) meal, Sherman’s should be first on your list. Sherman’s has been a staple in the Palm Springs area for 59 years. With what seems an endless menu, including a variety of omelettes, seafood dishes and traditional breakfast favorites, nobody leaves hungry. Food is reasonably priced and you will undoubtedly get your money’s worth. After the meal, don’t forget to stop at the kosher bakery inside for a chocolate éclair!

Lulu California Bistro

Head over to Lulu’s for a taste of midcentury design with your lunch. Lulu’s has an extensive menu with organic ingredients to ensure ultimate freshness. Lulu’s has exquisite dishes including coconut shrimp, lunch omelettes and fantastic sandwiches, with prices ranging from $8-$30. Sit out on the patio and people-watch along Palm Canyon Drive. This spot is not only a feast for the stomach, but for the eyes as well!

Tip: Patio seating at Lulu’s has misting devices to beat the heat. Visit visitpalmsprings.com for more information and check livingsocial. com for discounted Palm Springs vacation packages, which are frequently showcased.