Q&A with Johnna Fouch

The San Diego State volleyball team currently sits in first place in the Mountain West Conference and plays at 7 p.m. tonight against Air Force at Aztec Court in Peterson Gym. The Daily Aztec sat down with junior setter Johnna Fouch to discuss the team’s success, as well as Fouch’s life off the court.

The Daily Aztec: What made you choose to play volleyball at SDSU? Johnna Fouch: The coaches. I actually was committed to another school (Cal State Northridge) before this and I realized I wouldn’t be happy there. SDSU was my No. 1 option my sophomore year of high school and they got a new coaching staff so I decommitted my senior year and came here.

DA: What are you majoring in and why?

JF: I’m majoring in communications because I love talking to people. I want to do more advertisement, stay within sports, maybe broadcasting. I just love talking.

DA: What do you like most about San Diego State?

JF: I love the weather, the beach and it is not too far from home (Redlands). Volleyball here is great and I just love the campus.

DA: Leading the team with 823 assists so far this season, what is the key to your playmaking success?

JF: I think it is more about studying the game. I have to learn more about what is across the net and use it to my advantage on our side of the court. I’m like the quarterback on the court.

DA: What is your dream job?

JF: To work at ESPN, more so with broadcasting or maybe also to work for a professional sports team doing advertisement.

DA: Having played 25 games this season, how do you think your team is doing?

JF: I think in the beginning, we had a lot of new people and we were trying to figure out how to run our offense and how it gets started. In the end, we figured it out and right now we are on a winning streak, so I think from here on out, we should be pretty good.

DA: When you’re not playing volleyball, what’s your favorite thing to do?

JF: My favorite thing to do is probably go to the beach, hangout with my friends or just relax.

DA: Who is your role model?

JF: My role model is my mother. She pushed me to play volleyball when I was 7 years old. She used to play (volleyball) in college. She has always been at every game and I always look to her in the stands during every play just so she can reassure me that I’m doing good and what not.

Q&A with Johnna Fouch