Best of North Park

Starting this week, I’m going to start featuring the best bars and restaurants of some of San Diego’s neighborhoods. First up? One of my favorite ‘hoods: North Park. This hipster community nestled between the I-805 and University Ave. has plenty of food and drinks for everyone. But there are definitely a few that stand out — read on for the best of North Park.

Restaurant

Despite the snooty service, Urban Solace has the best brunch in the city. Sundays from 10 a.m.t o 2 p.m. the Bluegrass Brunch doles out some country favorites. The waiters will certainly push drinks on you, so if you’re a fan of mimosas tell your server to keep ‘em coming. If not, simply enjoy the food. The biscuits and gravy will certainly put a smile on your face, even when your server impatiently waits for you to pay the bill.

Dinner’s pretty wonderful as well, and you can’t go wrong with the sweet potato fries or the pan roast salmon. It’s a little pricey for a college budget, so it might be best to bring your parents here when they’re in town.

Dessert

It’s hard to ignore the smell of cake and pie wafting out onto University Ave. The source of that delicious scent? Heaven Sent Desserts anchoring the main strip of North Park. Got a sweet tooth? Two words: bread pudding. It’s delicious, buttery and will probably induce a sugar shock to keep your insulin pumping for hours, but it’s worth it.

Bar

I’m not going to lie, I’m really partial to True North Tavern on 30th street. Right in the heart of North Park, this sports bar has 25 TVs, which is great for watching games. At night, they play music videos instead and corral off a section of the floor for dancing. There’s a bar outside and inside, and the bartenders are always more than willing to poor an extra hefty drink. I like going on Thursday nights, when most drinks are $3.

Best of both

Newcomer in town, Urbn Coal Fired Pizza is a sure bet. You’ll not only get a mouthwatering slice of pizza, you’ll get a great brew to go with it. One thing I like about this place is that it’s truly great for groups. The owners used the space really well, and there are tables galore. The extensive drink and pizza menu might seem overwhelming at first, but it just means you’ll need to come back multiple times to try everything. Don’t go home without trying the mashed potato pizza; it sounds weird, but it’s the most incredible combination of flavors I’ve experienced in awhile.

So if you and your pals need a place to go on a Friday, head over to Urbn. Because what’s better than pizza and beer?

Best of North Park