Aztec stars shine then and now

Aztec stars shine then and now

There are some San Diego State alumni students and the world know very well. Doug Manchester, businessman and owner of the U-T San Diego. Gregory Peck, Hollywood legend. Julie Kavner, the voice of Marge on “The Simpsons,” are just a short list of people who went on to do awesome things.

Despite the varying industries in which previous students have found success, the most consistent thing that accomplished alumni have in common is their involvement with school organizations. Clubs provide a chance for people to grow together through common interests. But more importantly, clubs have the ability to help members gain skills that can be utilized both in their personal and professional lives. This is true not only for current students, but also alumni who are well into their careers. Let’s take a quick look at the Aztec stars that have already made their name in the world, and those just getting ready to take off.

THEN: Greg Block–Chief Communications Officer for SDSU

Some Aztecs just can’t stay away. Greg Block is a graduate from the class of 1995, and now works as the chief communications officer for SDSU. Block, a public relations major, spent two years on this very paper as a sports writer.

“I knew I was going in to public relations and not journalism,” Block said. “But being a reporter at The Daily Aztec helped me hone my writing skills, learn about newsroom operations, deadlines, pitching and many more skills I’ve used every day throughout my career.”

He is still personally and professionally connected with some of his former Daily Aztec colleagues. 

NOW: Michael Kemmer02_18_14_Opinion_Kemmer_MonicaLinzmeier

You may remember his name from his mayoral campaign last fall, but there’s no doubt you’ll be hearing his name for years to come. Before graduating in December of 2013, Kemmer was actively involved in SDSU Rotaract Club, Associated Business Student Council and the Alpha Kappa Psi fraternity. Now, as he looks for post graduation opportunities, Kemmer credits his involvements in these organizations for helping him prepare for the next phase of his life.

“Through each of those groups, I met a number of great people who are just as ambitious as myself and they are the reason running for mayor was feasible because they were there to support me,” Kemmer said.

THEN: The ladies of Luxuria PR

Are you afraid you won’t be able to find a job after graduation? Take a page out of the book by Claudia Huizar and Jamie Reyes and start your own company. Only a couple of years after graduating in 2012, Huizar and Reyes started Luxuria Public Relations, a boutique public relations firm that has already seen enormous success. In their last year at SDSU, Huizar and Reyes were on the executive board for the school’s chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America, serving as director and secretary, respectively. In the PR field, it’s not only what you know, it’s who you know, and these ladies no doubt had the opportunity to do some serious networking during their time with PRSSA. 

NOW: Kelsey Tredwell

There are students who are involved in school activities, and then there are students that are immersed with them. Right now, one of those students is Kelsey Tredwell. Throughout her last four years at SDSU, she’s been involved with the psychology club, the American Marketing Association of SDSU, the Professional Studies and Fine Arts College Council, and pretty much anything else you can think of. But currently, her primary role on campus is the president of PRSSA. According to Tredwell, her time in PRSSA has helped her figure out what kind of person she wants to be after she graduates, something that can help put students into the best category for networking, leadership and professionalism.

THEN:  Solo Eyewear team

You may have noticed some awesome sunglasses on display at the SDSU Bookstore. The brand is Solo Eyewear, and co-founders Jenny Amaraneni and Craig Stern, as well as Dana Holliday, the creative director, are SDSU 2011 alumni and were leaders in the Entrepreneur Society. What started as an idea between three students, turned into a business that helps poverty-stricken people from all across the world get the resources they need for better eye care. These entrepreneurs are the perfect example of Aztecs turned a dream into a global reality.

NOW: Dajanae Palmer

Here at SDSU, when someone says the words leadership, determination and confidence all in one sentence, that person is usually referring to Dajanae Palmer. While pursuing a psychology major and a sociology minor, Palmer is the dedicating much of her time to her role as president of the hugely successful Afrikan Student Union. As she comes closer to graduating at the end of this semester, we hope to see more of her in the community and beyond.

As we get into the grove of a new semester, take the opportunity to explore all the opportunities on campus. With more than 400 clubs and organizations, there is something for everyone. You might find something now that will have a great impact on you later.

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Aztec stars shine then and now