A.S. Diversity Commission approves divestment

by Luke Henning

On Wednesday,  the Associated Students’ Student Diversity Commission approved a resolution to divest from American companies involved in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Eleven members of SDC voted in favor of the resolution and three voted against it. The remaining six members abstained from the vote.

As the commission met to discuss the issue groups of students supporting either side piled in to the A.S. council chambers on the third floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

The resolution was put forward by a coalition of groups including Students for Justice in Palestine and the Muslim Student Union.

SJP president Nadir Bouhmouch said the divestment would represent the council’s neutrality on the issue.

“In this case doing nothing is taking a side,” Bouhmouch said. “By divesting we are staying neutral.”

After passing in the SDC, the resolution will move to the A.S. University Council.

Last month a similar resolution was shot down by the A.S. Board of Directors but because of the restructuring resolutions can now be proposed independently to each of the A.S. councils.