The Frights jam to surf-punk attitude [VIDEO]

Monica Linzmeier, photo editor
Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

The Frights’ current hype in the San Diego music scene can be compared to that of Slightly Stoopid’s rising popularity during the turn of the century. The surf-punk band, composed of three high school friends Mikey Carnevale, Richard Dotson and Adam Lomnitzer, has been showcasing their music across San Diego since December 2012, when they were signed by Postmark Records. A mix of their personality and influences by popular Burger Record bands such as FIDLAR and Mac DeNarco has brought a little something new to San Diego.

The young talent the three friends have shown throughout their many appearances at Soma, The Casbah, Soda Bar and Che Cafe has been a breath of fresh air for San Diego music lovers. Since the surf-punk genre hasn’t gotten to the heart of San Diego as much as it has for Orange County Burger Records bands, The Frights have been able to get their name out to San Diego’s nonconformists. In about over a year, The Frights have produced two EPs and one full-length self-titled album, as well as two self-recorded music videos. Their individualism and  “no expectations” attitude has given them a fun and mischievous reputation on stage, which fans love.

Wrong Records label will be putting out “Seven Inch,” containing two of The Frights’ singles, “Beach Porn” and “Make-Out Point,” which both have music videos on YouTube. The Frights’ next concert in San Diego will be May 24, at Soma with Death Lens, Groms, Seminole and Hydrogen Jukebox.

Make sure to check out upcoming videos and records coming out by The Frights and support local San Diego local bands.

Also read: Punk rock band attempts to achieve the ‘American Dream’

Video by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor
Photo by Josselyn Molina, staff writer

Josselyn Molina, Staff Writer
Monica Linzmeier, Editor in Chief
Monica Linzmeier has worked for The Daily Aztec since 2011 serving as a photographer, writer, photo editor and finally Editor in Chief. She is majoring in Journalism and French.  Monica focuses on multi-media journalism and is looking to go into international reporting after graduation.