Green updates for Aquaplex

Lindsey Martin, Assistant Photo Editor

As part of a dedication to maintain sustainability on campus, San Diego State’s Associated Students funded the third and last installment of a 124-kilowatt solar photovoltaic array. A ceremony was held last week in recognition of the changes at the Aztec Aquaplex, which is now completely run by solar energy.

“Solar photovoltaic modules made up of individual cells convert solar radiation into electricity,” according to Sullivan Solar Power Web site. “When the sun shines on the modules, the cells produce a stream of direct current (DC) electricity and send it to an inverter.”

The solar array at the Aquaplex generates 124 kilowatts every hour for an approximately eight-hour period, which roughly equals 992 kilowatts a day, A.S. Green Commissioner, Grant Mack, said.

“Even if it’s cloudy outside, (the solar array) will generate about 100 kilowatts,” he said. “It’s still getting solar power regardless.”

“It (the solar array) is also extremely beneficial for the environment since we are not purchasing “dirty’ energy from the utilities company that emit large amounts of CO2 (carbon dioxide) and we will have a constant source of reliablerenewable energy,” he said.

Because the Aquaplex is the most energy intensive facility on campus, having it run by solar energy will save A.S. significant amounts of money, Mack said.

Mack said 25 percent of all energy in California is used to pump water.

“So you can imagine that pool pumps use a lot of water and a lot of energy to keep the water heated and clean,” he said.

The newly installed energy efficient water pumps will offset 70 percent of the energy used at the Aquaplex, Mack said.

The total project cost for the solar PV array was $744,088, but A.S. received a rebate check of about $268,000 from the California Solar Initiative, presented to them by the California Center for Sustainable Energy. So the final cost of the project is estimated $458,000.

Mack said the solar PV array is expected to save A.S. anywhere from $40,000 to $50,000 a year.

“There really isn’t another facility like this around in the area,” Natalie Colli, A.S. vice president of university affairs said. “San Diego was voted one of the top-10 cities for sustainability so it’s a huge deal for the city as well.”

Green updates for Aquaplex