Hate crime at SDSU: Police sketch tweeted

SDSU Police

SDSU Police

SDSU Police

by Quinn Owen, News Editor

San Diego State Police are searching for a man who assaulted a Muslim student in what they are calling a hate crime. An artist’s sketch of the man was tweeted by the department.

Police said the man tore off the woman’s headscarf while making hateful comments and threats about her ethnicity.

The suspected assault occurred Thursday afternoon around 1:45 p.m. in the parking lot near Zura Residence Hall.

The 5-foot-11-inch white male suspect was wearing a grey sweater, blue jeans and white shoes. Police described him as having a thin build with dark black air and either hazel or green eyes.

He was not seen with a vehicle but police say he took off running toward campus parking structure 6 after attacking the woman.

After receiving multiple reports of the incident, San Diego’s office of the Council on American-Islamic relations said the assault could have been motivated by the woman’s religion or cultural identity.

“The incident may be related to the backlash against the American Muslim community since the recent terror attacks in Paris,” CAIR said in a press release.

SDSU President Elliot Hirshman acknowledged the reported assault in an email to students, staff and faculty, describing it as, “rooted in religious bigotry.” He said university police are taking aggressive measures during its investigation.

“We unequivocally condemn all forms of bigotry and any efforts to intimidate, harm or demean any members of our community,” Hirshman wrote in the email.

The timing and distribution of the department’s initial community safety alert are also being reviewed to ensure protocols were followed, he said.

A Facebook event, “SDSU Action Against Islamophobia,” calls for a rally 12:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 23 to unite against “Islamophobia and bigotry.” It was created today in response to this crime.

In a community safety alert, the police department encouraged anyone with information about the suspect to contact Detective Hogan or Detective Barrett at (619)-594-1783.

Information can also be sent by email to police@mail.sdsu.edu, or through the anonymous hotline (619)-235-8477.

The Daily Aztec will be following this developing story. Check back for updates.

3 Responses to “Hate crime at SDSU: Police sketch tweeted”

1. Greg on November 22nd, 2015 3:46 am

It is amazing how the lamestream news ignores some crimes and focuses on others. Jews are the number one target of religious hate crimes in America, not Muslims, yet you rarely see any of those crimes reported and I’ve yet to hear of the term “Judeaphobia” (heck, even Nazis killing millions of Jews didn’t even have that label). Nobody should have pushed or attacked this woman, however, as history has shown ( http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/ ) many people use fake hate crimes to “advance” their cause. I think many San Diegans remember the fake hate crime involving an Iraqi family and murder – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shaima_Alawadi.

From the FBI
    Religious bias
    Of the 1,223 victims of anti-religious hate crimes (for 2013):

60.3 percent were victims of crimes motivated by their offenders’ anti-Jewish bias.
    13.7 percent were victims of anti-Islamic (Muslim) bias.
    6.1 percent were victims of anti-Catholic bias.
    4.3 percent were victims of bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
    3.8 percent were victims of anti-Protestant bias.
    0.6 percent were victims of anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
    11.2 percent were victims of bias against other religions (anti-other religion). (Based on Table 1.).

2. Charlie Alvarez on November 28th, 2015 2:26 pm

Great point amigo. Muslims are a politically protected religious group that gets favoritism from media and liberal PC government agencies like SDSU Police. With all the security cameras around campus, where is video evidence of this so-called “hate crime.”

3. Quinn Owen on December 1st, 2015 8:49 am

Greg, thanks for reading and adding your thoughts. As San Diego State’s source of independent news, we cover all significant criminal activity on campus regardless of the victim’s race or ethnicity.

Each week, we update the community with our SDSU Crime and Incident reports and we extend our coverage to the surrounding College Area when crimes of exceptional significance occur. Last month, for example, when the large menorah outside local Chabad House was broken and racially charged language was spray painted near a campus parking garage: http://www.thedailyaztec.com/70841/news/menorah-vandalized-at-chabad-house/