Streaking Aztecs look to stay hot in MWC

The SDSU softball team will try to extend its 10-game winning streak when MWC play opens tomorrow. File Photo

After a 10-13 start to the season, it would have been easy to write off the San Diego State softball team.

But that was then and this is now. And as of now, SDSU couldn’t be playing any better.

Since the 10-13 start, the Aztecs have won 14 of their last 15 games and are currently on a 10-game winning streak, improving their record to 24-14 this year.

The 10-game winning streak includes a win against No.12 Stanford and a pair of wins against crosstown rival USD.

SDSU is gaining attention nationally, too, as it is now receiving votes in the ESPN.com / USA Softball poll.

“We’re getting better pitching,” head coach Kathy Van Wyk said. “We’re also hitting the ball better, which really helps.”

The team is peaking at the right time, as Mountain West Conference play begins this weekend.

SDSU will face New Mexico tomorrow and begin a two-day series with Colorado State on Saturday.

Junior first baseman Justeen Maeva is eager to start conference play now that the team has found its stride.

“It feels real good,” Maeva said. “We’re playing well at the perfect time. We’re excited to start conference.”

Even though the start of the season didn’t go as planned, freshmen utility Hayley Miles shares the same attitude as Maeva.

“The beginning of the season wasn’t so good,” Miles said. “But it’s the perfect way to head into conference play.”

Van Wyk likes where her team stands right now.

“We’re right where we want to be,” she said. “Pitching, defense and offense are starting to click.”

Although the team is playing well, Van Wyk knows the weekend trip will be a tough one.

“It’s going to be a difficult trip, starting with New Mexico then having to travel to Colorado State,” Van Wyk said. “But we’re in good shape heading into conference play.”