Editorial: Greeks need to get it together

Multiple Greek organizations found themselves suspended or removed just weeks after SDSU's Interfraternity Council lifted its social moratorium. Something needs to change

by The Editorial Board

Greek life at San Diego State is in a crisis.

In November 2017, Phi Kappa Theta, which counted A.S. President Chris Thomas among its members, was kicked off campus for a minimum of seven years after repeated violations of the university’s alcohol policies that dated back years.

In March, so many fraternities in SDSU’s Interfraternity Council found themselves under investigation or on suspension that the Council voted to indefinitely suspend almost all social activities involving alcohol.

“With more than a third of chapters on a status, the IFC believed that it was necessary to take action to mitigate any further incidents for the safety of the IFC and SDSU communities,” an IFC statement said at the time.

The purpose of the party ban, which the IFC referred to as a “social moratorium,” was to “provide the opportunity for reflection and planning” within the council’s member fraternities, the IFC said.

And for a time, it seemed like maybe, just maybe, things were getting better. The IFC required fraternity members to attend a number of educational sessions on things like alcohol and drugs, hazing prevention, being a good neighbor and “toxic masculinity.”

Fraternity members seemed receptive to these sessions – though a notable exception was when members openly mocked the masculinity event, which was witnessed by a Daily Aztec reporter who was there.

By October, the IFC was satisfied with the impact of the social moratorium and voted unanimously to end it. At the same meeting, members voted to implement a ban on hard alcohol at all Greek-related events.

They were out of the woods, so it seemed.

But like a gaggle of petulant 12-year-olds with little to no self-control, it took just a couple of weeks for the Greeks to put themselves back in hot water.

In the same week, Sigma Nu’s national organization revoked its charter for alcohol policy violations, and SDSU put Kappa Alpha on interim suspension after a mysterious incident at their chapter house in which a freshman student somehow ended up with a concussion, a fractured wrist, a sprained ankle and numerous bruises on his back.

How all of those injuries occur in the same incident is beyond this editorial board, but there’s a bigger question here. No one – not the student who was injured, not the fraternity members – thought to take the student to a doctor for his injuries until a nurse administering a meningitis vaccine noticed them the next day. Why is that?

Just those two incidents should have been enough for the IFC to reconsider ending their party ban, but the Greeks were just getting started.

By mid-November, both the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the Alpha Phi sorority managed to get themselves placed on suspension after a Halloween incident that a university spokesperson would only vaguely describe as something that “may have put a member of the university’s community at risk.”

The incident, whatever it was, involved members of both the fraternity and the sorority, and took place at the Sigma Phi Epsilon house, according to SDSU officials. Alpha Phi may ordinarily not have found themselves facing punishment, but officials determined they failed to properly report the event to the university.

Why, after a months-long fraternity party ban and a year of increased scrutiny into Greek behavior, would anyone think it was a good idea to cover up a dangerous incident at a frat house?

Alpha Phi may not have been involved in the IFC party ban – to students unfamiliar with Greek life, sororities are not part of the IFC and cannot throw parties anyway – but it is part of the wider Greek community, and one would think the Greeks would be treading extra carefully after a year of increased scrutiny into their behavior. As for Sigma Phi Epsilon, one wonders why they wouldn’t be doing everything in their power to stop any kind of dangerous or rule-violating behavior from happening in the first place.

And it’s not as if a climate of criticizing Greek organizations’ actions is limited just to SDSU.

The University of Michigan’s Interfraternity Council voted to implement a ban on social events and pledging in November 2017 after a variety of incidents, including allegations of sexual misconduct by fraternity brothers, six hazing reports, more than 30 ambulance calls for students during a football game weekend, seven more during Halloween and an unauthorized “Champagne and Shackles” event, the Michigan Daily reported at the time.

That’s far from the most serious case.

Penn State student Timothy Piazza was pledging Beta Theta Pi in February 2017 when he was given 18 drinks in under 90 minutes, fell down a flight of stairs and died of his injuries days later. The university tightened restrictions on Greek life and moved monitoring and discipline of frats from their Interfraternity Council to university officials.

Louisiana State student Maxwell Gruver died in September 2017 during a hazing ritual while trying to pledge Phi Delta Theta, causing an indefinite suspension of Greek activities. Some of those restrictions were later lifted and the university formed a new task force on Greek life.

Florida State student Andrew Coffey died pledging Pi Kappa Phi in November 2017, prompting the university to suspend all Greek activities until they were brought back with heavy restrictions in January.

Those are just a few cases.

No Greek members or pledges at SDSU have died. But if fraternities’ and sororities’ current lack of concern for the rules continues, it’s a possibility. With it comes the possibility that the university will move to drastically increase restrictions on Greek organizations.

And that’s something no one wants.

Greek life is a huge draw for SDSU. Ask almost any student applying to our campus, and they’ll tell you that they’re interested in at least looking into rushing.

It’s obviously a big part of our campus leadership.

Every A.S. president for at least the last 14 years has been part of one Greek organization or another. Some Greek alumni have gone on to do great things – San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, for one, is an SDSU Kappa Sigma alumnus.

It’s difficult to imagine SDSU without Greek life. But four disciplinary actions against Greek organizations in a matter of weeks is evidence of a serious cultural problem, and the Greeks need to get it together before something serious happens.

9 Responses to “Editorial: Greeks need to get it together”

1. Anynomous frat boy on November 28th, 2018 1:19 pm

It is very clear the author of this article has no reliable connections to the truth. They don’t even know what they’re talking about, just being very vague and bringing in unrelated events from other schools. You are so biased it’s not even funny. You don’t discuss all the positive Greek brings, like community service, a higher average GPA than Geeds, and accountability as in an established risk team. Do you understand if there was no Greek life, people would still party, only there would be no one to make sure people are ok. You are not news, you are slander. I guess anyone can get a position at the daily Aztec.

2. Aaron Morgan on November 28th, 2018 2:36 pm

I would like to comment on the positive aspects of greek life: networking, career connections, mentoring and coaching, transitioning grads from college to careers, study groups, annual reunions, and of course, lifelong friendships. My time at a greek organization at SDSU in the 1980s was the most educational and rewarding in my life. The older brothers were my mentors and good friends. So please everyone, before going on the attack, consider the positives.

3. Jebidiah SprungFeld on November 28th, 2018 3:13 pm

I feel there was no need to name drop Chris Thomas at the very beginning of this article. Chris is an exceptional young leader with a thirst for supporting all of SDSU’s students in any way, shape or form. He does not deserve to have you refer to him in a negative way just because he was a member of a fraternity that was removed from campus. Just because an individual was a member of a fraternity, it does not mean that they are a stereotypical Greek student which you describe.

Yes, I am not denying that there is an issue in Greek life right now but The Daily Aztec always seems so focused on the negative aspects. The Chapters who have violated the rules should indeed face the consequences, but I think you need to start highlighting the positives that all Greek councils bring to SDSU such as the Philanthropy events and awareness events.

Maybe, just maybe, if you stopped using greek life as click bait then TDA would not be failing like it currently is.

4. norm on November 29th, 2018 1:30 pm

If you’re going to write a slanderous news article such as this one, at least get the facts right. There are numerous errors in this and it is vague simply for the purpose of standing on a moral high horse. And those “petulant 12 year olds” are leading the campus in good causes such as Aztec Dance Marathon and Aztecs Rock Hunger. Maybe it is the The Daily Aztec that needs to get it together.

5. Norm on November 29th, 2018 1:38 pm

If you’re going to write a slanderous article such as this one, at least get the facts straight. There are numerous errors in this article, and it is clear the authors are being vague simply to stand on a moral high ground and say they are betters than Greeks. Greek life, those “petulant 12-year-olds”, are leading the campus in greatses such as Aztecs Rock Hunger and Aztec Dance Marathon. Maybe it is The Daily Aztec that needs to get it together.

6. Ken Adams on November 29th, 2018 6:32 pm

I agree with the above comments that Greek life does have positive aspects, and it might be a good idea to include that side of the perspective in your reporting. Yet philanthropy and the other positive things mentioned do not negative the negatives, and they are not an excuse to not have a discussion about the problems that exist within the Greek system. If the Greek community continues to avoid this discussion shit is eventually going to hit the fan and they’re going to regret not dealing with these problems themselves. Thanks for writing this editorial and having the conversation that everyone else at this school is too afraid to.

7. Rat on November 29th, 2018 10:18 pm

I personally don’t love Greek life because of the few things that do happen not only at SDSU but nationwide. However, I cannot believe how insulting this article is to Greek life at SDSU, especially to the boys in fraternities. A few rotten apples doesn’t mean the whole system is full of “petulant 12 year olds.” This article seemed to reflect more personal ideas than actual facts about incidents on campus.

8. ugh on December 1st, 2018 7:50 pm

This is ridiculous. I’m not a part of greek life because it’s expensive and I lack commitment so I really don’t need to defend greek life. In fact I do look at them pretty critically. However articles like this just target them for things they sometimes have no control over. Could they have done better? yes. but they aren’t a bunch of twelve year olds. Compared to most schools, SDSU’s greek life isn’t that crazy haha. They should ALL get themselves together but you said nothing but negative, out of line statements that aren’t all that accurate. Let’s stop with this how GDI vs. Greeks thing here at state. You are NOT better than anyone purely because you do or do not partake in an organization. Are we in high school? Why is it us vs. them? We are all here to get a degree.

9. TerribleJournalism on December 4th, 2018 11:29 am

This article is pathetic. Maybe the daily aztec should consider the garbage they spew out before they attempt to damage an entire community based off the acts of individuals and other school’s incidents.

Calling fraternity members a “gaggle of petulant 12-year-olds” just makes the author sounds like an angry child with a heavy bias against people in a community he is not a part of; a community which happens to do a lot of great things and brings people together, but of course he/she would be more than happy to gloss over all of that.

The Daily Aztec has lost all of my respect, not that it ever really had that much in the first place.