Aztecs-Rebels postponed due to COVID-19 issues

Kyle Betz
San Diego State women’s basketball junior guard Alex Crain warms up with a mask after halftime of the Aztecs’ 75-71 loss to Cal Baptist on Dec. 2 at Viejas Arena.

San Diego State women’s basketball’s next two games against UNLV have been postponed due to coronavirus contact tracing issues within the program. 

The games were originally scheduled for Dec. 31 and Jan. 2 and both were to be played at Viejas Arena. 

According to a news release, both games will be rescheduled and announced at a later date once both programs and the Mountain West Conference can confirm. 

After a win at cross-town rival University of San Diego, the Aztecs have lost four consecutive games, including their first two MWC games at Colorado State. 

In addition, junior guard Sophia Ramos, who was the first MWC Player of the Week of the season, injured her hand in the first quarter of the double-overtime loss to the Rams in the second game. 

This is the first postponement SDSU has had to make due to COVID-19 contact tracing.   

The Aztecs’ next scheduled game is Jan. 7 at Nevada for a 6 p.m. tipoff.

Breven Honda, Senior Staff Writer
Breven Honda is a fourth-year journalism student at SDSU and in his third year writing for The Daily Aztec. Originally from San Diego, he is a big baseball fan and loves the Padres. He also enjoys basketball, football, golf, volleyball and tennis. Following college, Breven wants to be somewhere in the realm of sports journalism either broadcasting or reporting.
Kyle Betz, Sports Editor
Kyle Betz is a fourth-year journalism student at SDSU and 2020-21 marks his fourth year reporting for The Daily Aztec. The Lake Forest, Calif. native has covered numerous sports as a writer, editor and media contributor. An avid fan of the Denver Broncos, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Lakers, Manchester United and Anaheim Ducks, Kyle enjoys watching and attending sporting events, listening to music, going to the beach and spending time with friends and family in his free time.