No.19 men’s basketball improves to 3-0 in Conference play, holding down San Jose State in 81-78 win

Jaedon LaDee posted 31 points to lead the Aztecs to their 12th win in a row against the Spartans
San+Diego+State+Guard+Reese+Waters+sizes+up+Fresno+State+guard+Isaiah+Pope+earlier+this+season+at+Viejas+Arena.+Waters+scored+seven+points+in+the+Aztecs+81-78+win+at+San+Jose+State+University+on+Tuesday%2C+Jan.9+
Lindsey Brintwood
San Diego State Guard Reese Waters sizes up Fresno State guard Isaiah Pope earlier this season at Viejas Arena. Waters scored seven points in the Aztecs 81-78 win at San Jose State University on Tuesday, Jan.9

San Diego State men’s basketball (14-2, 3-0 Mountain West) entered another conference matchup with an earned close win over the San Jose State Spartans (7-9, 0-3 Mountain West) at Provident Credit Union Event Center on Tuesday night. 

“As crazy as it may sound, this is exactly how I thought the game would go,” said head coach Brian Dutcher. “They’re dynamic offensively. … Tim Miles has got a good team this year. They just have not won the close game. And that’s the difference between having the year we’re having and the year they’re having.”

Jaedon LaDee had 31 points and 10 rebounds, leading the Mountain West Conference as its leading scorer at 21.4 points per game. LaDee has also scored at least 20 points in four straight games. 

Just credit to the work and my God-given ability,” LeDee said. “Coaches put me in great positions to be successful, and credit to them as well.” 

Lamont Butler added 16 points and Micah Parrish had 13 for the Aztecs

Jay Pal scored 10 points and blocked a potential game-tying layup by Spartans’ Trey Anderson with three seconds remaining to secure the victory for the Scarlet and Black. 

“He went from goat, and I’m not saying greatest of all time, to hero,” Dutcher joked. “He basically messed the (defensive) switch up to his credit, (but) he kept playing and made a timely block.”

Alvaro Cardenas led the Spartans with 21 points and six assists, but San Jose State ultimately lost its third game in a row. 

San Jose State forced a shot clock violation with 13.6 seconds remaining to get the ball trailing 80-78. Cardenas found Anderson inside, but Pal swatted away his layup attempt and Butler recovered the loose ball for the Aztecs. 

Butler was fouled and made one of his two free throws. With the game closing in for the Spartans, Diogo Seixas attempted a full-court heave for the tie but missed wide left. 

SDSU won the rebound battle (37-28) and outscored San Jose State (38-24) in the point. This conference matchup between the two teams also featured 15 lead changes and 14 ties. 

The Aztecs have now won 19 straight games when leading at halftime and 19 in a row when leading with five minutes remaining. San Diego State led at the half 42-41 and 70-67 with five minutes left. 

San Diego State looks to continue its win streak against the New Mexico Lobos at The Pit Arena this Saturday at 11 a.m. 

Roman Aguilar
Roman Aguilar, '23 -24 Sports Editor
Roman Aguilar (he/him/his) is a second-year journalism major with an emphasis in public relations from Stockton, California. Since he was little, he loved watching sports and being able to tell a good story out of an exciting game matchup. He joined the Daily Aztec in 2022 as a contributor and staff writer for the sports section, covering a multitude of sports including football, men's basketball, and water polo, before moving on to sports editor. Aguilar is also a blog writer for KCR College Radio, attending concerts and having the opportunity to cover shows and interview artists. When he isn't writing articles related to music or sports, you can see Roman going to local concert shows on a near-weekly basis and watching his favorite horror movies.
Lindsey Brintwood
Lindsey Brintwood, Staff Writer
Lindsey Brintwood is a San Diego native, born and raised. Lindsey was pivotal to Poway High School's Broadcast Newscast, Yearbook, and Newspaper. She was an anchor for the sports sections "Sports Highlights" and "Sports Up and Coming" for the newscast, Titan T.V. She was the online and social media editor of her school's newspaper, The Iliad, and served as editor-in-chief of her school's yearbook, The Odyssey, during her senior year. At San Diego State, Lindsey is pursuing a major in Journalism and a minor through the Weber Honors College in Interdisciplinary Studies. At the Daily Aztec, Lindsey has had the opportunity to anchor for the Daily Aztec Live under the News and Sports sections, write for Arts and Culture, photograph the Men's Basketball team, and create multimedia packages. Outside of the Daily Aztec, Lindsey is a member of the sorority Kappa Alpha Theta, where she serves as the Alumnae Relations Director; she is an SDSU Ambassador, serving as an official tour guide, orientation leader, and student representative of San Diego State University, in addition, she is an intern for the School of Journalism and Media Studies, and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, and PRSSA.