TURN IT UP: Singer elicits shades of classic vocalists

Kevin Barnes’ inner glam rocker is displayed prominently on Of Montreal’s psychedelic new album, “False Priest.” Like a whirling carousel in the middle of a disco dance floor, the album spirals onward riotously. It careens from flamboyant rock numbers like “I Feel Ya’ Strutter” and “Coquet Coquette” to the quiet intensity of “Casualty of You” with absolute ease and abounding confidence.

Barnes’ vocals are the driving force behind the record, taking stretches between soaring falsetto melodies and straightforward delivery of some very off-kilter lyrics. It is his voice that entices the listener to continue this very strange and wonderful journey. Evoking memories of Prince and Freddie Mercury, Barnes’ voice feels comfortable in between the funk-drenched bass lines.

Janelle Monáe prominently represents guest vocals when she contributes to “Our Riotous Defects” and “Enemy Gene” while Solange Knowles provides support for a highlights from the album “Sex Karma.” While impressive, the guest singers are merely complementing the music. Their voices feel like more instruments Barnes uses to craft his dramatic statement.

Although the album seems to be endlessly fascinating, Barnes’ lyrics are incredibly dense at times and are heavy-handed in other instances. An example that comes to mind is the closing track of “You Do Mutilate?” in which a robotic voice rails against traditional religion. This seems entirely contradictory to most of the record and even to the song itself. It is hard to take the message seriously when 20 seconds earlier, the same robotic voice was proclaiming, “All the white people from my neighborhood are dead.” Although some listeners may be turned off by its alternately playful and serious dynamic, the album is incredibly entertaining to listen to.