TURN IT UP: Finnish rocker him gives lighter, gothic encore

From the layered vocal opening of “In Venere Veritas,” which translates loosely into “In lover there is truth,” it is incredibly apparent that the Finnish love-metal band HIM has given up its rougher edge in favor of a more commercially viable and straightforward rock album. HIM’s earlier album “Venus Doom” was widely believed to be one of the heaviest hard rock albums out, and its newest album “Screamworks: Love In Theory And Practice” stands in stark contrast.

The album’s second song, “Scared To Death,” displays the sort of glossy production one expects from a band signed to a major label, with incredibly poppy melodies and composition. These contrived hooks pop up more frequently as the album progresses. The first single, “Heartkiller,” has an almost glittery delivery and is nearly danceable, with “80s keyboards twinkling in the background.

Overall, the album is a straightforward rock album with a very Hot Topic-friendly, Gothic edge. If listeners are looking for something revolutionary, it won’t be found here. However, fans of HIM will undoubtedly accept the change, as the band has showcased its pop edge in many of its earlier albums.

“Screamworks” pays its necessary homage to The Cure. Nonetheless, most songs are forgettable and blend into each other. It should do very well for the 16-year-old Gothic crowd.