TURN IT UP: Magnetic Fields attract listeners with oddities

The newest album by Magnetic Fields cements its unfortunate position as the most fascinating artist rarely talked about on even the most alternative-happy college campuses.
    Continuing his grand tradition of alternative sounds and technical beats, one-man-wonder Stephin Merritt provides followers with “Realism,” a 13-track album to bob their heads to on a sunny day.

Fans of Magnetic Fields’ previous albums, such as 1999’s cult hit “69 Love Songs,” will rejoice to find that though the songs are indeed catchy and new, Merritt doesn’t stray too far off the beaten path.

Songs such as “Everything Is One Big Christmas Tree” combine Merritt’s signature baritone with optimistic pop beats highlighted by wind chimes. But it’s tracks such as “Always Already Gone” that really bring something new, slow and thoughtful to the table.

The beautiful part about Magnetic Fields’ discography 8212; and a theme that is carried into this album 8212; is Merritt’s tendency to lay down the most narcissistic, selfish and flat-out cranky lyrics possible to happy pop-synth music.

“You Must Be Out of Your Mind” could, by all accounts, be classified as fun and funky, yet the lyrics read “Why would I want to talk to you? / I want you crawling back to me / down on your knees” and “You want to rekindle that old flame / I don’t remember your real name.” Eccentric and brilliant.

Band: Magnetic Fields
    Album: Realism
    Label: Nonesuch
    Grade: C+