TURN IT UP: Mutemath wanders down new musical path

Mutemath is another band with a style of music difficult to categorize as any one genre. Its most recent album “Armistice,” released August of last year, is a testament to Mutemath’s versatility, because it combines numerous music genres. The album fluctuates from fast-paced music and vocals to much slower tracks, never conforming to a single form or style for more than a few songs. Mutemath’s “Armistice” is a growing album, almost organic in its inconsistencies and constant wavering from former song styles. This movement keeps listeners interested in each individual song, as the album is not built a narrative, but instead as a collective of tonally and rhythmically similar songs. The album opens and closes with parallel notes, soft lyrics, quick paces and calming harmonies, leaving the listener satisfied with the completeness of the album.

Mutemath deviated from its stereotypical sound and transitioned into a much more experimental phase of music making. The change is not drastic, but seems like a natural step for Mutemath, previewing an even more interesting and eclectic future of music for the band beyond “Armistice.” The album will not deter loyal fans and is recommended for those who have enjoyed musical styles paralleling Zero 7’s most recent album “Yeah Ghost.” This album is a great addition to any collection, so pick it up in preparation for Mutemath’s performance this April at Coachella.

Artist: Mutemath
    Album: Armistice
    Label: Teleprompt
    Grade: B