SNEAK PEEK: NYC indie-rock tour comes to San Diego

Thinkstock

Indie-rock fans are in for a treat as three of New York City’s hottest new independent bands make their way to San Diego next week. Staten Island quartet Cymbals Eat Guitars will be performing with Brooklyn’s Bear In Heaven, along with Queens’ quintet Freelance Whales at 8:30 p.m. next Tuesday at The Casbah.

Headlining the show is Cymbals Eat Guitars, a young band that has already found success through its critically acclaimed debut album “Why There Are Mountains,” released last September on Sister’s Den Records. The band consists of four young musicians: Joseph D’Agostino on vocals and guitars, Brian Hamilton on keyboards, Matthew Miller on drums and percussion and Matthew Whipple on bass. As one of the few bands to come from Staten Island, Cymbals Eat Guitars has made a name for itself with its unique sound, carried by loud post-punk energy, instrumental dexterity and lyrical precision. Fans in the front row should be warned 8212; D’Agostino is rumored to be one of the sweatiest front men around. The latest single from Cymbals Eat Guitars is called “Tunguska,” available on the band’s Web site.

Bear In Heaven is a four-piece Brooklyn-based pysch-rock band formed by front man Jon Philpot. It is currently signed to the indie label Hometapes. The band’s current lineup of members has Philpot on vocals, guitar and keyboards, Adam Wills on guitar and bass, Sadek Bazaraa on bass and keyboards, and Joe Stickney on drums. Its debut album “Red Bloom of the Boom” was released in 2007, consisting mostly of progressive psychedelic rock. Last October it released “Beast Rest Forth Mouth,” a more streamlined, straightforward pop album with 10 exquisite songs about youthful romance. Propelled by crafty percussion and soaring vocals, the album overflows with emotion and decadent originality. This album is so well polished and produced that it will be very interesting to see how it translates live.

Both “Why There Are Mountains” and “Beast Rest Forth Mouth” received the honor of Best New Music on Pitchfork last year.

Opening act Freelance Whales is an experimental pop-rock group from Queens. Its debut album “Weathervanes” is scheduled to be released on April 13 via Frenchkiss Records. Freelance Whales consists of five members: Judah Dadone, Kevin Read, Doris Cellar, Jacob Hyman and Chuck Criss.

These three bands performing together should make for a great show this Tuesday at The Casbah. Tickets cost $8. This show is restricted to ages 21 and older. Doors open at 8:30 p.m..

Visit www.casbahmusic.com to buy tickets and find out more about shows at The Casbah. For more information on the bands, visit their Web sites, www.cymbalseatguitars.com, www.bearinheaven.com and www.freelancewhales.com.