PASS THE POPCORN: Oscar-winning short shakes up corporate world

MCT Campus

“Logorama” is a 17-minute animated action film made entirely from corporate logos. It recently won the 2010 Academy Award for Best Short Film Animated. The film is French, but the dialogue is English, so it does not appear to be foreign at all.

The film’s plot features Michelin men cops chasing a crazed Ronald McDonald robber through Los Angeles. The film then takes a dramatic shift during the second act, which really shakes things up, ending with a mini-apocalypse. Everything in the film, including characters, buildings, vehicles and the like, is an animated logo.

The 3-D-looking graphic design gives eye candy quality to this film, showing great innovation in animation technology. This, combined with hilarious adult dialogue and dramatic intensity, makes the film stand out both visually and conceptually. It’s a fun and interesting movie, definitely worth a look. Because of the strong language and violence, this animated film is recommended for mature audiences. Distributed by Shorts International, “Logorama” is available in full-length high quality in the iTunes store for $1.99.

After the film’s Oscar win, one of “Logorama’s” many producers, Nicolas Schmerkin, said, “(the film) is not about America. It’s about our modern Western world … It’s about the way we live and the way we react to these logos. The brain can register 14 logos in less than one second. Making the logos characters with sets and props is about what we’reliving.”

For more information, visit www.logorama-themovie.com.

Movie: Logorama
    Distributed by: Shorts International and Autour de Minuit Productions
    Directed by: François Alaux, Hervé de Crécy and Ludovic Houplain
    Grade: A