GREEK BEAT: 2-10-10

Greeks receive scholarships
Sean Kashanchi of Sigma Phi Epsilon and Yumi Totani of Delta Gamma received scholarship awards from the Order of Omega, according to Doug Case, coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Order of Omega recognizes outstanding leadership of individuals in the Greek community.

First “New Members Series”

The first “New Members Series” of the semester will take place at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 16 in Montezuma Hall. The event will consist of two parts, a general introduction to Greek life and a presentation about hazing given by Case. Seventy-five percent of all new members of the Greek community are required to attend.

Resolution passed against The Koala

The Panhellenic Council passed a resolution at a meeting Monday condemning The Koala’s illicit and discriminatory articles inciting rape against sorority girls, according to Becky King, Panhellenic Associated Students liaison.

“Regardless of whether or not we agree with what The Koala stands for, we are against them when they incite illegal activity such as rape,” King said.

The resolution demands the immediate retraction of the article along with an apology from The Koala and states of intent to distribute a copy of the resolution to San Diego State and California State University administrators, state senators, police officers, A.S. and The Koala staff.

Greeks go green

The SDSU Greek community has received a $100,000 grant from the state of California to start a recycling system through Urban Corps, a company that assists refugees and individuals with minor offenses to find jobs with various service projects, according to Jon Carbaugh, Interfraternity Councilactivities director. The grant is collected in Sacramento from the California Redemption Value added to bottles and cans at time of purchase, Carbaugh said. The program is planned to of March.

8212;Compiled by Senior Staff Writer Reem Nour

GREEK BEAT: 2-10-10