AS Beat 3.15.2012

New policies

San Diego State’s Senate passed a policy regarding course syllabuses recently. Teachers are now required to post their syllabi online before the start of the semester. They will be available to the public on the library website.

SDSU now offers its students the option of having an extracurricular transcript. It is similar to an academic transcript but instead of grades, it lists the organizations a student was involved in and when they were involved during their college careers. To create these transcripts, organization officers enter rosters online on the Student Life & Leadership website. This process is not yet required of organizations, but it eventually will be.

Restructuring

Emotions ran high at Friday’s restructuring meeting as the committee debated the removal of the Residence Hall Association, Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council and the United Sorority and Fraternity Council seats from Associated Students. Jasmine Henderson, the current RHA president, fought to keep her seat because the students in the residence halls provide a different perspective that should be voiced within A.S. and because having that seat increased the communication between the two entities.

Former IFC representative and candidate for Vice President of Finance Eric Anderberg had a different opinion.

“If IFC is not represented in Campus Life Council, I would understand that because they are not funded by A.S.”

However, he remained unsure of how he felt about the complete removal of the seats.

The committee informally voted to not include the RHA, IFC, Panhellenic or USFC in the new A.S. government structure because none of the groups are funded by A.S. and because the students those organizations represent are already largely represented throughout the college council representatives. Communication and collaboration between the groups will remain strong.

The CLC will control five committees: Cultural Arts and Special Events, Recreation and Wellness, Green Love, Student Support and the Multicultural Caucus, which was renamed the Diversity Cultural Council. The five committees’ chairs will sit on the CLC along with 10 Campus Life Senators to be elected by SDSU students at large, four executives and the president chair.

AS Beat 3.15.2012