A.S. Beat 3.21.2012

Culture Week

San Diego State’s first ever Culture Week will take place between April 2 and 6. Cultural organizations such as the Afrikan Student Union, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning community and the Student Veteran Organization, among others, will host informational tables and lectures. Toward the end of the week there will be an Aztec Unification Project and Pledge Diversity event.

Restructuring

The topic of Friday’s restructuring meeting analyzed the possible removal of Honors Council from Associated Students’ new structure.

A.S. considered the removal because having that seat encourages double representation of some students. All students are already represented academically through their colleges’ council representative on the University Council.

Two Honors Council members spoke at the meeting to advocate why the council should keep its seat.

Treasurer Ariel Rawson and co-president Kayleigh Neel told the restructuring committee about the many ways the Honors Council assists academically minded students, and presented letters from Dean of Undergraduate Studies Geoff Chase and Honors Council adviser Dr. Henry L. Janssen.

Neel said HC “wants the seat to promote academic excellence for the whole campus,” not just those already involved in the program.

Part of Chase’s letter read: “The Honors Program and Honors Council represent a broad array of students across campus in many disciplines, and thus represent a culture of achievement that is important for us to continue. Having a seat on the A.S. Council is an important way of acknowledging that culture and of continuing to support the efforts.”

The restructuring committee was very divided in its support of keeping the Honors Council seat and did not reach a final decision regarding the integration of the council into A.S.’s future structure. It will meet this Friday to determine further details.

A.S. Beat 3.21.2012