A.S. Beat

Representatives from San Diego State’s Children’s Center visited the Associated Students Council meeting on Wednesday in response to possible cuts to the center set out in Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed 2012-13 budget. State funding currently pays for 52 children of SDSU’s students to attend the center, but a new proposal would require the parent to work at least 30 hours a week to continue their funding after the first year.

Shauna MacDermot and Tanisha Chiles, both student parents, spoke to A.S. to stress the consequences reduced funding would have. “I would not have been able to do it without the funding. There’s absolutely no way I would have been able to afford childcare. As a full-time mom and a full-time student, there’s no way I would be able to work 30 hours a week,” MacDermot said.

A.S. Vice President of External Affairs Krista Parker said she will write a letter for A.S. members to sign and send to the governor to protest the cuts.

Rumor information website created

The University Affairs Board decided last week to create a rumor information website. Members have recently heard false information spreading across campus and want to correct the myths. One rumor clarified at the meeting was that although other campuses may enact unit caps in the 2012-2013 year, SDSU will not..

Because of complaints about the lack of transparency regarding SDSU’s budget, SDSU President Eliot Hirshman‘s office decided to start a budget discussion forum. It is tentatively proposed to start the first week of next month.

Koala apologizes to A.S.

A Koala representative publicly apologized to A.S. on Wednesday for an incident a few years ago in which a Koala member vandalized Aztec Center elevators and stairwells. The Koala’s apology was part of the process to be recognized as a campus organization again.

A.S. Beat