Must Do in May

Who could have predicted that a musical directed by legendary Broadway director and choreographer, Susan Stroman (“Contact,” “The Producers”), as well as featuring songs from the music and lyrics team, John Kander and Fred Ebb (“Chicago,” “Cabaret”), would not have been a huge box office success.

“The Scottsboro Boys,” a controversial yet critically acclaimed play based on an unbelievable true story, is about nine black teenage boys who were accused of gang raping two white women. The singing and dancing interpretation is in the style of a minstrel show, not as an excuse to be politically incorrect, but as a way of critiquing the racism on display in the trial.

While the subject matter will no doubt turn some people off, give “The Scottsboro Boys” a chance. If successful, The Old Globe will help continue to make this talked-about miscarriage of justice resonate in the 21st century.

Tickets and information about “The Scottsboro Boys” can be found at theoldglobe.org.

—Compiled by Staff Writer David Dixon

May has two major video game releases to watch for. Blizzard’s long-anticipated dungeon-crawler “Diablo III” will release on Mac and PC on May 15; loot-aholics, deliverance is near. Console players will be able to pick up the high-intensity shooter “Max Payne 3” the same day for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, while PC fans will have to wait until May 29.

—Compiled by Head of Aztec Gaming Cody Franklin

The last of the famous international playboys, Morrissey, return to San Diego’s Valley View Casino Center (aka Sports Arena) on May 22 — just in time to cast a shadow over any post-finals celebrations with songs of alienation and dry literary quips. Before his lyrics became a hipster lingua franca for every Zooey Deschanel-in-training, Morrissey was the frontman for the highly influential 1980s alt-rock act The Smiths. The “How Soon Is Now?” singer released his ninth solo studio album “Years of Refusal” in 2009 and intends to release an autobiography later this year. Ticket prices range from $29.50 to $49.50.

—Compiled by Senior Staff Writer Andrew Younger

Think Cinco de Mayo only lasts one day? Think again. This Friday through Sunday, Old Town will host its 29th Annual Fiesta Old Town Cinco de Mayo, which is the largest celebration north of the border. This free, three-day event offers an array of entertainment and activities for patrons of all ages to enjoy.

Wandering through the mercado, individuals can purchase a broad assortment of merchandise, including handmade leather pieces and beautiful jewelry. Two stages will feature flamenco, norteno and traditional mariachi music for festivalgoers to enjoy while walking through the streets. Hungry or thirsty? Visitors can stop by one of the 20 tasty restaurants offered throughout Old Town and quench their thirst by entering either the beer gardens or the high-end tequila sampling area.

While there, make sure to visit the historic museums and specialty stores Old Town has to offer. And before the day ends, be sure to take a ride in a stagecoach. This three-day long fiesta starts from 5 to 10 p.m. on Friday, continues from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and ends from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. For more information, visit oldtownsandiegoguide.com.

—Compiled by Staff Writer Samantha Hirsch

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is returning from an international tour to kick one off in the states — and it starts in San Diego. The five-piece indie-rock group has been touring in support of its latest album, “Hysterical,” which was released last September. The group features high-energy sounds on the upbeat side of the indie realm.

Doors open at 7 p.m. for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah’s May 18 show at The Casbah. Tickets are $18 in advance and $20 on the day of show. The show is 21 and older.

—Compiled by Entertainment Editor John Anderson

It’s that time of year once again: city festivals. All the San Diego neighborhoods seem to be getting in the spirit, and North Park is right at the forefront for this year’s street festivals. North Park Festival of Arts is set to take place on Sunday, May 20. Actual crafts along with craft food and beer will be in abundance at 30th Street and University Avenue from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The festival itself is free, but one of its main draws is the ticketed Craft Beer Block, which runs $30 in advance and $35 the day of. Ticketholders will be able to taste and enjoy all of the beer that has made San Diego the No. 1 beer city in America. There will also be several music stages showcasing local music and dance all day.

—Compiled by Staff Writer Courtney Rogin

Although it’s a bit of a jaunt up the coast, this Sunday holds one of San Diego’s largest free events. The Carlsbad Village Street Faire is a biannual event, held in May and November, now returning for its 39th year. More than 100,000 patrons are expected to peruse approximately 900 vendor booths and 50 international cuisine options at the largest single-day street faire in the nation. A children’s area will feature arts and crafts, carnival games and attractions, while a beer and wine garden featuring live bands may entice those who are older than 21. The affair will occupy Grand Avenue from Carlsbad Boulevard to Jefferson Street and all cross streets in between. Complimentary shuttles will be available to ease the inconvenience of parking. The Carlsbad Village Street Faire will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., which leaves plenty of time to get home and rest (or rage hard and celebrate) before the last week of classes.

—Compiled by Copy Chief Kristen Caldwell

Must Do in May