World Beat

Hugo Chavez Health Exams Are ‘Absolutely Fine’

After undergoing extensive medical examinations early this month Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, 57, told reporters, “everything came out absolutely fine.” Chavez had been diagnosed with an undisclosed cancer, and following a health scare was hospitalized in recent weeks. Although Chavez’s latest illness caused much distress among Venezuelans, the presidential palace insisted Chavez continues to recuperate. Chavez, who claims to be feeling healthy and working late, spoke for three hours on June 11 to kick off his October reelection bid. Chavez continues to prove he still has the ability to govern Venezuela for another six years while he continues to battle cancer.

Obama Announces Immigration Reform

The Obama administration announced it will stop the deportation of young illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children if they meet the requirements. A few of the requirements to be eligible for the two-year deferral from deportation are individuals younger than 30 years old who entered the U.S. before the age of 16 and pose no criminal or security threat, and those who were successful students, or served time in the military.

The announcement was meant to tailor his reelection message by showing his support toward the Latino community by providing economic fairness and opportunity in the U.S.

Update On Mubarak’s Alleged Death

Last Tuesday night the reported death of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who fell in a prison bathroom caused controversy throughout Cairo. Wednesday afternoon conflicting reports emerged that Mubarak was ‘clinically dead.’ However, another report stated he was placed on life support. Mubarak’s latest health update revealed that he is alive, but in critical condition.

Farid El-Deeb, one of Mubarak’s lawyers, accused news media for not verifying Mubarak’s death before reporting it to he public. Mubarak’s death caused speculation because the reports were announced as the country prepared to elect the next president.

World Beat