Aztecs come back to beat Anteaters

After losing and drawing its last two matches, the San Diego State women’s soccer team took the field Friday night against UC Irvine hoping to get back to its winning ways.

Despite a slow start that left the Aztecs down early, two outstanding goals by junior forward Jensen Skinner helped the Aztecs come back for a 3-2 win and improve to 8-1-1 on the season.

The Anteaters struck early in the 13th minute when Natalia Ledezma caught sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Boaz off guard with a strike 10 yards outside the box. The goal put the Aztecs in unfamiliar territory, considering it was only the second time this season SDSU has been down in a match.

Unfazed by the goal, the Aztecsquicklyreboundedwhen a shot by Skinner ricocheted off of Anteater goalkeeper Corey Tobin’s hands and just managed to make its way past the goal line.

But the Anteaters would soon respond with their own goal to once again take the lead. UC Irvine’s senior midfielder Jackie Samis took a pass from Ledezma and chipped a shot over Boaz, making the score 2-1.

After halftime, the Aztecs picked up the pace, firing off five consecutive shots on goal until senior forward Megan Jurado broke through with the equalizer in the 57th minute. A solid pass by sophomore forward Hannah Keane set up Jurado for what was one of the most impressive goals of the season, a line drive shot from just outside the box into the top right corner of the goal.

With the score tied, the Aztecs looked to grab the lead for the first time in the game. Less than two minutes later, Skinner struck again, this time with the game-winner and her second goal of the game. “She’s (Skinner) been on the verge of scoring and was frustrated about it,” SDSU head coach Mike Friesen said. “She’s spent extra time after training all week working on her finishing, so for her to get those two goals is just awesome.”

SDSU outshot UC Irvine 12-3 in the first half and 11-3 in the second half.

“We didn’t come out and play like we are capable of in the first half,” Friesen said. “What an outstanding second half we played. To come back from a goal down and win 3-2 in regulation—I couldn’t be happier about that part, but definitely want to have that be the lesson learned on not playing our best soccer in the first half.”

The Aztecs would earn another win Sunday, defeating UC Santa Barbara 3-1 on the road. Jurado scored a game-high two goals against the Gauchos.

The Aztecs are now a perfect 6- 0 at home. SDSU opens conference play at 7 p.m. on Friday at the SDSU Sports Deck against Nevada.

Aztecs come back to beat Anteaters