CSU Board reviews degree requirements

The California State University Board of Trustees was scheduled to amend plans to reduce upper division general education requirements at its meeting on Sept. 18 – 19.

Instead, the board shifted its focus from upper division GEs to degree requirements.

CSU Media Relations Specialist Erik Fallis said the goal is to get more bachelor’s degrees aligned with a typical workload required for students to graduate in four years.

“The title change would be focused on getting those high unit programs down to a four- year degree level,” Fallis said, adding that consistency among the CSUs is also a factor.

Currently, 81 percent of degrees in the CSU system require 120 units to graduate, equivalent to 15 units per semester for four years.

The challenge, however, is not in reducing requirements, it’s getting students to graduate within four years, according to San Diego State University Senate Chair Bill Eadie.

“I think what the Trustees are concerned about is there are students who are having trouble completing degrees in 120 units,” Eadie said. “Now that’s different from having degrees that are 120 units.”

Fallis said the CSU system recognizes certain majors require more than 120 units. Some programs have professional, licensing,credentialorcertification requirements in addition to other degree requirements.

“In those cases, that would certainly be understood and exceptions would be made,” Fallis said. “But what we’re focused on are programs that do not need to be – because of external factors – more than 120 units.”

Fallis didn’t name any specific programs, because the Board of Trustees has not discussed a plan of action yet. More definitive plans will be discussed at the next board meeting.

CSU Board reviews degree requirements